· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default help with cycling

0 Not allowed!
    hey everyone, im new to aquariums. i bought a 10 gal tank with a 20 gal powered fliter and an air strip for bubbles. And also some gravel. i have 3 live plants in the tank and some rocks i think there shale? i had 3 little neon yellow barbs. as starter fish.i bought the PH tester and ammonia tester from what the salesman said at the fish store. i starting reading after i had the fish in the new tank already. i didnt realize i would be harming the fish. i did 50% water changes daily for about a week but i couldnt get the ammonia to come down. one morning i woke up one of the 3 fish were swimming kinda on its side. I couldnt take it anymore lol. so i bought the fish back to the pet store. now i am trying to do a fishless cycle with ammonia. 2 days ago i put ammonia in the water to the levels were at 4ppm. 2 days later the ammonia is still at the same level.

Shouldnt the levels have gone down already? Am i doing this right please help

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    The ammonia level is a bit high for a 10 gallon, you might want to do a 50-75% water change and bring it down to 1-2ppm, don't forget to dechlorinate the new water before it's added to the tank, then wait. 2 days is not enough time for much to happen, give it at least a week. Remember, don't add any more ammonia until it reads 0ppm. You will also need tests for nitrite and nitrate to determine when the cycle is complete.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ++ to Mommy1
    You might also want to up the heat in the tank to 82F and add an air bubbler if you have one and if not, lower the water level about an inch to help move things along. Resist taking any more readings for a few days as mommy1 said. When ammonia finally drops to 0 and you are also seeing nitrites, then dose ammonia again but only to 1ppm. then check only once a day, same time. when ammonia again drops to 0 and you still have nitrites, then repeat as above. On the day that both ammonia and nitrites are 0 - congrats! you're cycled. Do a large water change to bring your nitrates down and stock your fish! It' really that simple. you could be done in 3 - 4 weeks.
    Oh - and you'd just as well get an API liquid water test kit. as as been said, you need to check your nitrites and nitrates as well as ammonia. You'll need it for ongoing tank maintenance as well. Don't worry about PH during the cycle unless it drops horribly low as ph will fluctuate during a cycle.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 03-20-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you for all the help. i have the heater in the tank at 82. I also bought an API mast test kit. I wish i just bought that to begin with. I guess i just need some patience. I also did a 75% water change to bring the ppm down to around 2. Should i see a bacteria bloom soon?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just dont mess with the water. I hear that cycles stall with too much ammonia but tbh the biggest thing to stall a cycle is an unstable environment. I'm cycling with 20+ ppm ammonia and have nitrites within the first 5 days. Just let it run it's course and add ammonia as needed.
    It's not uncommon for ammonia to stay at current levels for a couple of weeks. If you truely want a faster cycle, go to that pet store and ask them to scoop out some gunk from their sump and put it in a plastic baggy for you. Throw that in the tank and you should be good within days.

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    rrutter81 how big is the tank you are cycling? I can't imagine needing that huge of a bioload. It is uncommon for ammonia levels to stay constant for a couple weeks. A couple weeks is long enough to complete a full cycle.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is 210 gallons. I added half a bottle of ammonia and threw some live rock in there to get rid of any hitch hikers. Of course the die-off will increase the spike moreso, but the bacteria will remain.
    If you are starting off a cycle from scratch with no added media from another tank, you can easily stay at ammonia levels for weeks. A more experienced aquarist will probably see the drop in a matter of days due to creating an environment that facilitates the nitrogen cycle.
    Ive seen beginners not cycle for almost 2 months due to disturbing the environment too much and adding chemicals for everything.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe the method of cycling your saltwater tank is different than the way we cycle our freshwater tanks, but the last time I cycled a tank using ammonia it took less than 3 weeks. When I have cycled filter media it takes about a week, and I started with 4ppm both times.I do agree messing with the tank is the number 1 mistake many people make when using ammonia to cycle a tank. I also understand using a huge amount of ammonia to sterilize the tank and kill off hitchikers. Saying you are cycling with ammonia levels of 20ppm and then implying the cycle will be done quickly is unbelievable. Sterilizing and cycling are two different things, and I am curious about how long this will take , I hope you start a journal of your own so we can see.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed. A bit more unconventional as my ammonia also contained surfectants for the initial dose. I have activated carbon in my refugium to filter it out as all my future doses will be pure ammonia.
    Tank was fully running friday, and already had a small diatom boom (even using ro/di) yesterday. Id rather start off fully disinfected than get critters that force me to tear everything down and start over.
    4 ppm ammonia will net a superfast cycle but i'm aiming for a slower hardier one. Unfortunately nitrates are already .25 ppm on day 3.
    I think it's the live rock that sped it up.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nitrites. not nitrates.