· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Unhappy Intense Algae Problem

0 Not allowed!
    So I got a new lighting system a couple months ago so I could better grow my plants and I had gotten some great advice here about what to get. My only problem is the tank has been growing some pretty strong algae that covers everything. AND my plants have not even been growing. The only plant that doesn't seem to be affected is my anacharis, it grows very well.
    I took these pictures before I completely deep cleaned the tank so you guys could see how awful it is.
    IMG_3094.jpgIMG_3095.jpgIMG_3096.jpg

I currently have a 29g freshwater tank with a coral life 30' dual lamp with 2- 31 watt lamps.

Thanks for any help!
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

0 Not allowed!
    Plants can only grow with enough carbon, light and nutrients. A single one that is lacking will prevent plants from utilizing the other two. Say you have nice high light, but not enough fertilizers or carbon, then the light is essentially unusable by plants and algae, which are less developed and therefore less exacting in their needs, will fill the gap that the plants have left.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a similar problem when I upgraded my lighting on my 20 long. Within a week or two I was having problems seeing through the glass. I bought a few olive nerite snails and within a few days the glass was clean. Haven't had a problem since.

Also to mention I'm referring to green algae, after looking at your pics you might have a different issue.

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Beside CO2 and a balanced array of micro-nutrients (Fe, K, Mg, Ca to name the most critical) you need some but not too high nitrates and as low phosphates as possible.

So, what are your nitrate levels? and if possible, phosphate levels? Do you dose a fert (liquid) and/or add root tabs? Sand or gravel substrate? Temp range? pH? How much water do you change and how often? These all impact the tank for algae.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like brown algae. Does it rub away easily? What are the nitrates?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I checked my nitrate levels and it seems to be within 5-10 ppm and my water is on the basic side of 7.6. Temp stays around 76-78, gravel substrate (Eco Complete), and I try to do water changes once a week ideally but lately it's been about every 2 weeks due to school and exams. I have Flourish liquid fert but I have not used it in awhile because I wasn't sure if that would help feed the algae too.

I don't really understand what to do with CO2 and other stuff like that and I don't have a kit to test for phosphates and stuff.
    And to answer your question talldutchie, It does rub away pretty easily. I'm thinking it's a mix of brown algae and Staghorn Algae. Which I looked up here: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_...ater_algae.php
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

0 Not allowed!
    If this was my tank I'd start a 50% dose of ferts. Do my best to go to weekly changes again. Rub of what will go and syphon away. Add some fast growing plants and do nothing else for the next six weeks. Problems like this are about balance and that takes time.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What would you suggest as some plants? I have java moss that gross like a weed too. But all my wisteria has died. This has been going on for a couple months. So I figured there was a deeper problem than just balance.
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

0 Not allowed!
    What do you have on the tank bottom?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What do you mean.. as in substrate? I have Eco Complete. I have an anubias lightly planted but it hasn't grown at all except shed leaves and grow new little ones.
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community