· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puffer Fish!!??

1. Default Puffer Fish!!??

0 Not allowed!
    I've recently... By recently I mean today... Bought a green spotted puffer fish. I read a little, very little about them before buying. Flake foods won't work so I've read so I'm down to live food or frozen. I've also read snails are great for puffers. My local pet place doesn't have snails- live or any other kind. What would be the best thing to feed my new puffer?? I don't want to starve him or take him back!
    Fyi:
    30 gallon tank
    4 gourami- blue, gold, dwarf and peacock
    2 polka dot catfish
    3 glo barbs
    3 bleeding heart tetras
    1 white angelfish
    1 green spotted puffer
    -----Very overstocked probably. As they grow, I plan on getting a larger tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you did what I did some time ago. I didn't read about the fish I purchased and they died. I think frozen/freeze-dried krill/plankton, ghost shrimp, glass worms, crickets, worms, etc. would be good for your new puffer.

Good luck :)
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I live about 45 minutes from the local place, do you think he'd be ok until early morning???????

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Puffers are not community fish.

I think you are going to have larger issues than what to feed him. There is a decent intro to Dwarf puffers post here:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=83911

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh Trillianne! I figured that they were aggressive.
    10 Gallon: 5 Peppered Corys | Pool Filter Sand | x2 AquaTech 5-15 Power Filter | 2 plastic plants

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, these are not community fish. They will eventually start attacking your other fish. Someone correct me if Im' wrong here, but I'm sure that Green spotted's need a min of 30g for one, (alone) and that they will eventually need brackish water.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to mandy.

brackish fish to flourish.
    and they actually have little "beaks", so when they nip, they actually bite hard...

I hope on your return trip, you also take back other fish too and then once you have a cycled tank, we'll help restock it to have a healthy, happy set up

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is cycled, been set up since new years. Catfish = brackish water, so I have the aquarium salt and added it already. But it no longer matters. I call it a propeller thing since I don't know the accurate name, anyways he got caught in it somehow????& died.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Poor fish. :(

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is cycled, been set up since new years. Catfish = brackish water, so I have the aquarium salt and added it already. But it no longer matters. I call it a propeller thing since I don't know the accurate name, anyways he got caught in it somehow????& died.