· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    This sounds an interesting project. I'd love to see one of these on a six foot tank! I'm also looking forward to some photos.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    This sounds an interesting project. I'd love to see one of these on a six foot tank! I'm also looking forward to some photos.
    That would look great I wanted a 55 gallon for the project but alas I'm poor and in a small apartment bed room.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    Haha...me too. I'm in a rented flat and am too scared to get a bigger tank in case I need to move! Renting is not very secure in the UK.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm more worried about a large tank falling through the floor :).
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yes...there is also that element to consider!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have a way to get the pictures off my memory card so pictures won't be posted till tomorrow hopefully. I do have enough rock I think assuming every rock is good I won't be starting prep work on the rock till Thursday at the earliest. I do have a plan for substrate though, I'll be getting a earth colored gravel (hopefully plant gravel like Eco-Complete). There well be a layer of about a inch then put the rock down then another layer of gravel scattered on top of the rock and bulk up the sides if needed.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've done the vinegar test and about 2/3rds of the rocks passed. I have them in the tank now to do a final test for a week. My base parameters are ph = 8.2 or 8.4 (can't really tell the difference), KH = 71.6 ppm and GH = 143.2 ppm. I know my water is pretty hard but from what I've read both zebra danios and hill stream loach should be fine as long as the rocks don't increase the hardness.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know when I'll be able to post pictures... Having problems getting them from my camera to my pc. In other news though the water in the tank has been there since Monday and the ph has dropped from 8.4 right before I added the rocks Tuesday to 7.8 (same as my 20 gallon) today. Any ideas why this happened?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally have the ability to post pictures! Here is the tank and stand set up with the lights and rocks in the tank testing ph (almost a week and no change).
    DSC08853_zps2601ba78.jpg

At this point I might have to wait until the semester is over with to do any real work on it but I'll try and get the manifold built and set up this week. Any one have a aquarium safe method of gluing the pvc piping together?
    Last edited by Limming; 04-08-2013 at 03:43 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got the manifold up and running! Need to replace the copper joints that I had laying around with PVC to make bonding easier, make the return sponge then fine tune and should be ready to start cycling. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Here is my idea for stocking currently;

15 or 20 zebra danios
    10 or 15 white cloud minnows
    6 hillstream loachs

Not sure about having both zebra danios and white clouds I'm going to start with 15 danios and see what it looks like and make a decision from there.