· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    An AC20 is a decent filter and a good size for your 10g. You could stuff the filter media from the old filter into the new one if it will fit, but I would run them both for about 4-6 weeks if you have room on the tank.
    Some bettas can be kept with other fish and some can't, it depends on the attitude of the betta you buy. I would certainly try it but be prepared in case you get a betta that doesn't like tank mates.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do the bottles of Prime have a dropper in the top? The de-clhorinator I use does, and the first thing I did is count how many drops it takes to fill a cap. Divide that by 10 and there's your drops per gallon dose. Mine came out to almost 10 drops per gallon.

On my smaller tanks I use a 1 gallon plastic water bottle for mixing new water. (Buffalo Don actually sells 1 gallon bottles with 8 "free" ounces, which leaves room for mixing)

I also stuck one of those cheap stick on thermometers on the bottle to help me match the temp.

Fill the bottle, put the necessary amount of drops, shake and pour into tank. Perfect dose, complete mix.

On larger tanks where I use a python, I just sit there and add drops at the rate that seems like 10 per gallon or so, right at the output of the hose. Never had a problem.

Dosing the entire tank, including the water that doesn't need treating seems wasteful and foolish to me. I'd worry about build up of chemicals.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As far as stocking, both the white cloud mountain minnows and the zebra danios are actually subtropicals, and are best at 64-75 degrees. I realize they were OK in your tank at a higher temp, but maybe the added stress made them less tolerant of the temp. Also, they both like to be in a group of at least 4-8.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone - just wanted to give a quick update. I installed the filter I mentioned previously (AC20) 2 weeks ago. I moved the bio mesh piece from the old filter and temporarily put it into the new one. Overnight I immediately noticed the water looked much more clear with the new filter. It has been 2 weeks so far and I'm still experiencing extremely high ammonia levels.

Currently my readings are: Ammonia 6-8ppm; Nitrate: 0ppm; Nitrate: 0ppm. I have also cut down feeding to around once every 3 days.

I currently have 3 fish left - the two danios and one of the white cloud minnows. My first question is, how are these fish even still alive with ammonia levels that high? I don't understand because the other 6 fish died all within the same week - and that was almost a month ago. How are these other fish still around?

My other question is: is it normal to have Ammonia this high still at this point, with feedings being so sparse? And also, why are the nitrate and nitrite readings still showing 0? Does this mean that the bacteria has not yet started to form?

Thanks again,

H

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The bacteria have not developed yet as your ammonia is not being cycled into nitrite/nitrate. What type of test kit do you have and what ph value are you at as a ph below about 6.2 will kill the BB or stop it developing.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just wanted to chime in on the water change thing . When i was doing lots of really large or medium sized ( 50-75 %) water changes recently on my 20 gallon high . i was lugging 5 gallons at a time and using prime with a tiny measuring spoon (over the bucket ) to do the entire 5 gallons mixing it any spillage went in with it so it was also a drop or two more. never really had a problem doing it this way. Then again i was doing this to remove really high nitrates after cycling + i have 9.0 ish nitrates off my tap making it more difficult. IF i had ammonia levels as high as him id just be dosing the entire tank( with the proper amount via a spoon over the tank so if you fill the spoon a lil to much it drops it in anyway ) as it detoxes it for 24-48 id imagine that would be much better for his livestock. now that my tanks stable i am still just dosing the bucket i am adding. This can make a large bottle of prime go a long long way if you never have to do emergency detox doses for the entire tank.

if i were you id keep doing large daily water changes to get that down and Detox the entire tank when you replace the water. once your stable id just probably do the proper amount for the bucket you're using. Definetly move away from the charcoal bag and get a better media imo. Then again i am going to be getting my self a python soon, so i will doing the entire tank when i refill.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My pH is 7.2. Still very high ammonia levels and 0 nitrates/nitrites. I'm using the liquid test kit. The new filter has been running for several weeks now. Is something else wrong? I moved the bio mesh from my old filter into the new one. Could that have anything to do with it?

I also don't understand how these 3 fish are alive with such high ammonia levels. I'm wondering if my tests are off somehow now. Is it possible that residue from a previous test could be in the tube and messing up the results? I usually just rinse the tubes after I'm done - don't was them in the dw or use soap, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Do you shake the bottles very, very well? Is the test perhaps expired.

0 Not allowed!
    Prime does detoxify ammonia for like 24 -48 hours so it's possible that is what is saving your fish from the ammonia with frequent water changes. You still need to get that down though with several back to back large water changes.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress