· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    The best way to ensure your water is dechlorinated correctly is after you take out the old tank water, and just prior to starting to add your new water, add a full capful (based on your directions of 1 cap per 10 gallons) to your 10 gallon tank, and then add the water.

As for the filter question, unless you only plan to lightly stock your tank, your best bet is to get a stronger filter. Generally recommended that you look for twice the filtration rate that you need. For example, you have a 10 gallon, so a 20 gallon filtration would be great. Alternatively you could add an additional 10 gallon filter to gain the additional filtration in combination.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When you do a water change and you want to treat the water with dechlorinator, you must treat the whole tank. So if the dechlorinator you have says 1 capful per 10 gallons, and your tank is 10 gallons, you should add 1 full capful as per the instructions. Regardless of how much water you take out. If the tank is 20g, and you do 50% water change, you should then add 2 capfuls, and so on.... Hope this helps and removes the stress you previously have,

Also i agree with other posters, you should remove the carbon and replace it with bio media as this is more effective. JUst make sure you clean the media in OLD tank water or dechlorinated water, but only do so when the filter really needs it. Suc as reduced water flow or blocking.

I clean my 2 canister filters maybe every 3-4 months.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    I strongly disagree with the above post. You don't treat the whole tank. If you had a 1000 gallon tank and change 100 gallons you treat 100 gallons. You don't need to dechlorinate water that is already safe! The best way for a small tank like yours is to dechlorinate in the mixing bucket before adding to the tank.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    I strongly disagree with the above post. You don't treat the whole tank. If you had a 1000 gallon tank and change 100 gallons you treat 100 gallons. You don't need to dechlorinate water that is already safe! The best way for a small tank like yours is to dechlorinate in the mixing bucket before adding to the tank.
    I have changed my water exactly like crazedmike explained without incident. If using prime it even explains that you can use a double dose. Although you can treat the amount of water removed, it's def easier using the cap full method measurement purposes.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rodm81 View Post
    I have changed my water exactly like crazedmike explained without incident. If using prime it even explains that you can use a double dose. Although you can treat the amount of water removed, it's def easier using the cap full method measurement purposes.
    But if you do regular partial water changes and dose for the entire tank each time you are adding unnecessary chemicals to the main water column every time. If you did daily partial water changes of 10% and dosing the entire tank you would be overdosing your 10% change by 10 times on a daily basis. I cannot think this would be in any way good for the tank, and if anything, would starve your beneficial bacteria of the ammonia/nitrites needed to keep them alive.

Please can you explain the reasoning behind dosing the entire tank when making partial water changes? Why?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    First off, your water changes and basic approch are excellent - good work. Most advice here is excellent.

A few words - what appears to have happened is that the charcoal (what everyone seems to call carbon) was what did the fish in after you rinsed it in water that had chlorates - activated charcoal can absorb chloine componds like a sponge and then it released them right into the bio-media in the filter wiping out most the bacteria. While charcoal has a purpose, you are far better off just adding extra bio-media. By the way, the amount of bacteria in charcoal is trival compared to bio-media so the loss of the charcoal would mean little; it was the chemicals in the tap used to rinse the charcoal that caused the filter 'crash'.

As for dosing the tank for 10 gals when you just replace 5 gals is just a safety measure - neutralizer chemicals are cheap but getting the dose slightly wrong can kill/harm fish and/or the filter. While it would be fine to dose, say for 5 gal's worth of neutralizer when doing a 25% water change, most people just can't measure these small amounts easily. That all said, if you really did do such a worthless water change like a 1 gal change, guessing about half a capful would be fine. Not just a good idea if the w/c is close to 5 gal and you just guess for the amount by judging what half a cap full is. As for the chemical, the filter bacteria 'eat it' so no, it does not build up and is harmless.

Best of luck and keep up the water changes until the ammonia drops to near zero; be on your guard for a nitrite spike.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-20-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I cannot think this would be in any way good for the tank, and if anything, would starve your beneficial bacteria of the ammonia/nitrites needed to keep them alive.

Please can you explain the reasoning behind dosing the entire tank when making partial water changes? Why?
    Prime and other dechlorinaters don't remove ammonia they just detoxify them for a short time so the bio-filter can deal with them with less stress on the fish during the process, so using enough to dose the whole tank will not starve the bacteria.
    As for dosing enough for the entire tank, in general I agree with you, there is no real need to dose the entire tank if you are using buckets and can add just enough for each bucketful added. I can see instances where it might be necessary, such as using a python or aqueon water changer, since water is being added directly to the tank, chloramines will also be added to the entire tank. Another time might be if there is a larger than "normal" amount of ammonia or nitrites in the water either during cycling or such as in my case, often having 1ppm ammonia in my tap water, as per the instructions on the bottle of Prime (I don't know what the the other brands instruct in this case) it is safe and recommended to add enough to dose the whole tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I've done some more reading on this - I think the key is whether you add the dechlor directly to the tank or to the water in a bucket. If to the tank - dose the entire tank size. If to the bucket before pouring into the tank - dose the bucket size only.

Well, I've learned something.

I'd stick to dechlorinating water before it's added to the tank for small tanks (bucket water changes) though. It's less wasteful.

0 Not allowed!
    I've done some more reading on this - I think the key is whether you add the dechlor directly to the tank or to the water in a bucket. If to the tank - dose the entire tank size. If to the bucket before pouring into the tank - dose the bucket size only.

Well, I've learned something.

I'd stick to dechlorinating water before it's added to the tank for small tanks (bucket water changes) though. It's less wasteful.
    I understand the wasteful argument when you're dealing with a larger tank.
    I think the whole point of adding the dechlor directly to the tank is to make dosing easier. For a bottle of prime, for example, the right dose for a ten gallon is to fill the cap to the first thread inside the cap. Unless you go out and buy a dropper with measurements on it and exactly measure each dose, you're more likely to overdose the tank by guessing how much to add to each gallon.
    This is just going off of my own bottle of prime. I'm sure there's a drops per gallon reference for other dechlors.

The other benefit to adding it right into the tank is to avoid a fatal mistake. We all get distracted during water changes sometimes. I personally watch tv while i'm doing a wc. Adding five individually treated gallons of water to your tank gives you five separate opportunities to forget to add dechlor.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good info here. After these posts and doing a bit more reading, I just ordered a new filter and also a bottle of Prime. (was using some other product before)

This is the filter and Prime I ordered:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000260FVG/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025694O/

First, is this a good filter for my setup/situation? And second, assuming this filter will fit in my space, what is the best way to begin using the new filter without causing yet another crash? Should I take the bio foam piece out of my old filter and put in temporarily somewhere in the new filter so I save the bacteria?

Once this whole situation is behind me and my tank stabilizes, I will be back here reading for stocking suggestions. I did feel that the tank was too crowded with 9 fish. Also the danios were way too active for this small tank. I think 6-7 fish is a good amount - but would like to find fish that are a bit more interesting to watch. The platys were kind of nice. I also did enjoy the betta. Can I keep a betta and 4 more small fish with this 20 gallon rated filter?