· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: CO2 recipe

1. Default CO2 recipe

0 Not allowed!
    To improve plant growth/health in my 125g aquarium, I am experimenting with a DIY CO2 system using a 5 gallon wine-making carboy that sends the CO2 bubbles directly into the filter intake. From my web searches, I haven't found a recipe that gives proportions of yeast:sugar:water. I am interested in having a slow, long lasting reaction to create an even flow of CO2. Please let me know if you have had experience with making your own CO2. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    In order for DIY to be effective in 125 gallons, you'd need half a dozen of those bottles. A tank of much over 40 gallon needs a pressured system. The DIY is only good for small tanks.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And I was afraid of having too much...my carboy is putting out at least 3-5 bubbles/second. So for my tank, you would expect that as much as 30 bubbles/second would be OK? I've been reading about how to guage dissolved CO2 but haven't yet figured that out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    In order for DIY to be effective in 125 gallons, you'd need half a dozen of those bottles. A tank of much over 40 gallon needs a pressured system. The DIY is only good for small tanks.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well I can only speak to my own experiences but for DIY the most common set up is a 2L bottle of mix to a ~20G tank.

However, during its life use, the bottle does need to be shaken up from time to time to ensure even output. That is going to be tougher imo on a 5g bottle.

0 Not allowed!
    Think the largest tank I tried it with was a 40g, before I went and bought a co2 setup. Paintball co2 tanks are popular with some folks over on plantedtank.net, but even those sized tanks do not last long on a smaller 20g.

DIY co2 is very tough for a large tank. Another problem is the reaction may start off strong and then slow down. Have you tried brewer's yeast? Some people claim it works better, I think I tried it but honestly couldn't tell the difference. Also could use brown sugar, read posts about it working longer.

Can't really suggest a ratio of sugar to water, there are so many different recipes people use. Really have to just play with the amounts to get the right output you want.