· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Blood Parrot in a 65g Community? Question for Hobbs/Mommie?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello. :) As some of you may know I have a 65g Community tank with Harlequin Rasbora, Cardinal Tetras, Dwarf Chain Loaches and some Dwarf Cichlids. It did have an Angelfish but as of today he was removed to the 120g as he started stalking my tetras.

My question...

There is this one Blood Parrot at my LFS that has been there for months -- in fact almost as long as I've been going there. He's only small, around 3", and hides most of the time but comes to the front of the tank to see you if you stand there long enough. The owner of the store says he's been there ages because nobody likes him because he hides all the time, plus he's a kind of buttery yellow rather than the traditional orange/red and everyone seems to go for the brighter ones. I've absolutely fallen in love with him and have to resist the urge to go and look in his tank every time I'm there.

I know they prefer to be in groups but I don't really want a whole group of them -- nor do I have space for them. IYE, would one BP in a community tank thrive? Or would he start to pick off my tetras as he got bigger, and be lonely without a group of fellow BPs. I really like him/her and feel so sorry for him being in that same tiny tank for what HAS to be nearly 5 or 6 months now.

Thanks in advance for your help -- here's looking at you Lady Hobbs and Fishmommie, or any other BP enthusiasts!

0 Not allowed!
    Hard to tell if he will go after the neon's or not since they were not raised together, especially. They are also lousy hunters.

I believe he'd be more happy in your tank than in a small store tank with people constantly staring at him. They are timid but perhaps your other stock will bring him out more. 3" is very small for a parrot tho and I suspect he may be a permission parrot ????.....(Called something like that but are smaller than other parrots.) His daddy was probably a Gold Severum and where he got his gold from. If you like him this much, then get him so you won't have to worry about him all the time. :)

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.tkfish.com.tw/en/product/node/1350

Persimmon parrots. I knew it was something like that. They are a type that remain small unlike the king kong that gets much larger, almost 9".

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Take the baby home :) he'd be happy. I have 3 . 2xnormal and KK. Love them all, took em about 2 1/2 to come out. Mine are like oscars now

0 Not allowed!
    I've had a blood parrot before. It was ok but I didn't like the deformed mouth they have. I also didn't know they are man-made beasties (hence the deformity) and was a bit put off by them after that. My only concern would be for the cardinals...when blood parrots get big they can get really big. Mine was a baseball-sized monster before I sold the tank set-up.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd get him, everyone else seems to think it'd be alright. I'm sure he'd love a new home. I've always wanted some blood parrots but was put off by their adult size, I was interested in this smaller strain the persimmon? But I couldn't find any info about them online.

0 Not allowed!
    thank you guys! My partner really likes parrotfish too so he's really excited and wants to go buy it himself, never seen him so interested in my fishkeeping before - which is good because the little guy costs $80. :) I suppose if it turns into a little hunter or grows into a giant, he could always go into the 120g with the sevs, tbars and firemouth.

I'll probably have him buy the end of the day -- will update with pictures.

On a side note... do you guys have any pictures of your parrots and tanks? LH I don't think I've ever come across any pictures of your tanks!
    Last edited by Amelia; 03-19-2013 at 10:31 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Didn't mean to ignore you but I could not find this post......like I can't find anything anymore! So annoying.

As you know by now, I totally love my blood parrots. I have 5 now that are 3 years old and had two others that died at 8 and 8.5 years old. Mine are out and about all day but for my largest female who just loves her spot behind the slate. She comes out to eat and play but always rushes back to her area to make sure no others are in her digs.

I have no recent photos as my camera and I just don't seem to get along but here is a few I've taken in the past. (If this works.)

They are now older and the plants have been removed.

@firefly......
    This man-made thing to me is silly as long as there are Flowerhorns, balloon mollies, high fin species, etc. Blood parrots are nothing but two species of fish put together that have have breed. If you want to get into the "man-made" fish, then you will have to include many, many more fish than just the blood parrot.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    @firefly......
    This man-made thing to me is silly as long as there are Flowerhorns, balloon mollies, high fin species, etc. Blood parrots are nothing but two species of fish put together that have have breed. If you want to get into the "man-made" fish, then you will have to include many, many more fish than just the blood parrot.
    Yeah, I don't like any of the species that might have health difficulties or functional problems (like eating) as a result of selective breeding. I apply the same line of thought to dogs and cats with purposely bred deformities such as squashed faces (breathing difficulties), miniaturised forms (brain compression), or anything else that might contribute to poor health.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have them - each to their own. It's just my personal taste.

Your photos are fantastic by the way - a very striking tank.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I have to laugh at the last photo I added. I had almost forgotten how small they were at one time. Their tank is now slate leaning against the glass for hiding spaces, lots of driftwood with anubias attached to it. Nothing else because I refuse to buy another high priced plant light.

I understand your dislike of parrots as many others feel the same. I just fell in love with them and my feelings have not changed in the 9 years of having them. I do not like Flowerhorns with those huge head lumps covering their eyes, tho, so I'm in the same boat with you there.