· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default my diy heating system for 220g in wall set-up

0 Not allowed!
    I am in the process of doing a make over on my 220g in wall set up. This heating system will be just one aspect of that project. Currently my tank houses north American native game fish which require no heating as they are native to my area and do well in cold water conditions. I am going to re stock with tropical community fish.
    After some research on heaters for this size tank and the conditions where it is located(in my unheated garage) I decided I could do a better job myself. I will probably not save a ton of cash, but, my hope is that when completed this system will be more reliable and easier to repair if something should fail.

Here is the basic idea behind my system. Using an electric water heater element (120vac 1500watt) and a temperature controller.
    The element itself costs $10 at Lowes. So if it should fail really cheap to replace . I also have $15 in the temp controller,about $10 in PVC fittings, another $15 in the wire,$5 in an auxiliary relay and probably another $10 in miscellaneous other "stuff"

Step one :and maybe the most difficult part is I have to modify one of the PVC connectors. It is a 2"x1" bushing which is glue on the 2" side and internal thread on the 1" side . The 1" thread will accept my heating element. I need to remove the "lugs" from the outside to allow me to connect another connector.

I will post more pics as it progresses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    . Scott.

0 Not allowed!
    Have you considered using sch 80 PVC instead of sch 40 ?

Sch 80 PVC would be able able to withstand the heat better than sch 40. I would be very concerned about the element from a hot water heater damaging the pvc.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ....yes I did want to use sch80 but couldn't find the connectors I needed in schedule 80 . I think it should be OK because only a very small area of the element will be close to the PVC. (See pics)

I have modified the connector and I have attached the heating element. So on to the next step.....
    . Scott.

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't mind making the overall unit longer, you could use a 4 inch nipple to screw into the bushing were you currently have the element, then use a coupling to attach the eleiment to the other end of the nipple. That would place the eleiment completey within the 2 inch section of the pipe giving you a larger area of water between the base of the eleiment and the PVC. That would help you reduce at least some of the risk of the PVC getting too hot. Really stong water flow through it will also help.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am just about maxxed out on length as the unit will be in my sump. It will have a lot of water flow around the element as it will have all the flow from my overflow running almost directly across the element.
    . Scott.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My next step is to add a waterproof connector to the top of my screw in cap. This is where my electric wire will enter the unit.
    . Scott.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was able to get the connector installed before the wife came in with her "honey do" list.....
    So tomorrow its on to assembly and wiring. Should be able to start testing this system. My plan is to run it in a 55g drum with a circulation pump to mimic actual tank conditions. I will have the drum in the garage. I think I will test it for a week or so, slowly raising the temp each day and then keeping an eye on it to watch for temp fluctuations .

I will be using a relay rated for 15amps as the element can draw as much as 12amps and the relay on the temperature controller is only rated for 10amps....I will use the controller's relay will only carry current to trigger the auxiliary relay. I will also be wiring in a cooling circuit which I will be controlling a small fan blowing on the sump. Preparing for the heat this summer.
    . Scott.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today I got the heater assembled, and attached the temp controller to a 2 gang blank plate. I plan on mounting a box just next to my tank on the wall. I would like to wire it on the left as you face the tank, but the temperature sensor wire is not long enough. I am not sure if I can just add some wire or if adding wire will affect how the sensor works. I will be testing it this evening. I work with low voltage systems for a living so I have plenty of wire. I think it should be fine. I am still going to do some testing to be certain since I am not sure how exactly the sensor works.
    I will be installing the wiring connections and relay in a small junction box on the back side of the wall .
    . Scott.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After some initial testing I found that my original design allowed air to be trapped near the base of the heater element. So I changed the design a bit. I added an elbow, a male adapter, and a length of 2" pipe.the change will allow the heating element to sit horizontal rather than vertical .This should eliminate the possibility of air being trapped near the base of the heater element.
    . Scott.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today I was able to assemble my re-designed heater and wire temperature controller and relay. My plan for tomorrow is to power up and test everything in a 55g drum with a circulation pump.

Here are some pics of today's progress.
    . Scott.