· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels View Post
    What are you feeding? They like algae and veggies. High protein can cause issues. The color is off quite a bit in them. That's what they look like if they have too much non veggie protein too. Kind of chubby, very pale.
    I feed Omega One color flakes and Hikari dried bloodworms & daphnia every other day and on the other days just the Omega One flakes. I have BNs and there is always an algae wafer and broccoli available. They don't go near them. They aren't chubby at all, actually they are lean, no bulging bellies.

The females have always been this pale, colored this way from the LFS. The males are a silvery blue. They are actually less colorful under the LED lights than with the lights off.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 03-19-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Accoring to this profile, GH should be between 5 - 15 dGH.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...n-rainbowfish/

I would add more Replenish before I treated for anything else. Slowly raise the GH to 10-12 dGH
    Another forum (seriouslyfish.com) also suggested my problem is due to the low GH and advised raising it and also changing from the Seachem Replenish to Kent RO Right, as they are very different products. What do you think about switching and can I do it now? How many degrees of hardness should I raise it with each change and how often - once a week at PWC time?
    Last edited by gronlaura; 03-19-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I can't recommend a specific mineral replenishing product as I've never used them myself. I've been lucky enough not to have to use RO\DI water. I'd increase the frequency of your water changes and would not change any more than 25% at a time. I'd do a 25% water change today and try to get to 5 dGH. Then increase by 1 dGH with every water change. So, if you're doing 25% water change twice per week, I'd increase dGH by 1 degree for each water change until you're between 10 - 12 dGH and maintain it there. Make sense?
    Last edited by Taurus; 03-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I can't recommend a specific mineral replenishing product as I've never used them myself. I've been lucky enough not to have to use RO\DI water. I'd increase the frequency of your water changes and would not change any more than 25% at a time. I'd do a 25% water change today and try to get to 5 dGH. Then increase by 1 dGH with every water change. So, if you're doing 25% water change twice per week, I'd increase dGH by 1 degree for each water change until you're between 10 - 12 dGH and maintain it there. Make sense?
    Yes, it does. It will take my unit about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to make 18-19 gallons. I will up the GH to 5 tonight and add 1 degree of hardness with each bi-weekly water change till I reach 10. Will be up late tonight!

I feel horrible that I could have been the cause of my large male rainbows demise. Major bummer.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is exactly what my females were doing before they perished...I'm having flashbacks. Get that GH up, and see how it goes.

If that and the airstone doesn't help, seriously, get some Prazipro. It isn't what I used, but I have heard it's the best to use. I got good results with a lesser product, so this stuff should be great. I had absolutely no pinkness in the gills at all with flukes. One of the fish (who survived, ironically), had one wonky scale...body fluke, turns out, but that was my only indicator of something wrong aside from the gasping. Flukes are microscopic...you can only really confirm them if you see them postmortem, under a microscope. Just to make diagnosis even more fun.

Are you going to QT the poor guy? It may be easier to test your variables in a quarantine if you've got one. However, I don't know anything about RO/DI water, so that may complicate things a bit. Why is your water so bad, if you don't mind me asking? Do you think even using a bit of it would help with GH? Sorry, unnecessary questions...but it must be a pain to constantly have to add things to your water besides prime.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    I feel horrible that I could have been the cause of my large male rainbows demise. Major bummer.
    I'm not absolutely certain that low GH caused the death, but it certainly didn't help. Sometimes when problems arise in the aquarium, you must go through a process of elimination. We solved the GH issue, but there still might be a fluke problem. Let's get that dGH above 5 and see if that helps. (Thanks mommy1, credit for that should go to you)

You may still need to treat with prazipro for a fluke issue. But boosting GH will help to stabilize things. Prazi is a mild medication and it will not harm healthy fish.

We learn through our mistakes, so think of this as a learning experience.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
    That is exactly what my females were doing before they perished...I'm having flashbacks. Get that GH up, and see how it goes.

If that and the airstone doesn't help, seriously, get some Prazipro. It isn't what I used, but I have heard it's the best to use. I got good results with a lesser product, so this stuff should be great. I had absolutely no pinkness in the gills at all with flukes. One of the fish (who survived, ironically), had one wonky scale...body fluke, turns out, but that was my only indicator of something wrong aside from the gasping. Flukes are microscopic...you can only really confirm them if you see them postmortem, under a microscope. Just to make diagnosis even more fun.

Are you going to QT the poor guy? It may be easier to test your variables in a quarantine if you've got one. However, I don't know anything about RO/DI water, so that may complicate things a bit. Why is your water so bad, if you don't mind me asking? Do you think even using a bit of it would help with GH? Sorry, unnecessary questions...but it must be a pain to constantly have to add things to your water besides prime.
    My tap is 1.0 ppm ammonia, 10 nitrates and a pH of 8.4 - 8.99. It's not just the params out of my tap, but the seasonal instability of the water. It comes from the Fox River and 7 ground wells. The water quality is in direct proportion to the quality of the river water (per my city water dept). Last summer we had really bad drought conditions and my tap pH was 8.99. If it came just from the wells, I might be able to mix it with the RO/DI water. The river water supply is what changes things. I have more stable water using my RO/DI unit. The only additive I use is Seachem Replenish to raise the GH. There is no ammonia, chlorine or chloramines in RO/DI water, so no need for Prime.

I'm hoping that Taurus is right and I just need to up my GH to 10. Will try that first - if it doesn't help, I will try the PraziPro.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my...what a terrible water situation! Again, please pardon my asking...I just wondered what things make available water unuseable. I'm lucky enough to have water I can us...I'm sorry you don't. And I forgot you wouldn't use prime. Duh.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your sympathy! I had to make a decision before I even bought my tank as to whether I would buy RO water and haul it home from the LFS each week (different one than where the fish are from). I really wanted an aquarium! Got my RO/DI unit in January and it is a real blessing. No more hauling water in 5 gal buckets!

The members at seriouslyfish don't think my water is that bad and that I should just use Prime and let the BB take over after 24 hrs. They don't like that I use 100% RO/DI water. I have been told that with my tap water I could very easily have an ammonia spike that could crash my tank - hence my use of RO/DI water.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 03-19-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Says a lot for seriously fish, I think if I had that tap water I would use RO/DI water too. As long as you keep replenishing the trace minerals it will be fine. I have been reading quite a bit about GH and KH lately and just want to warn you to raise the Gh very slowly as Taurus suggested because raising the gh to quickly can cause shock.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.