· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Threaded View

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question Lost a rainbow - 2 more doing same thing

0 Not allowed!
    On 3/6 I noticed one of my original male neon dwarf rainbows at the top of the tank, breathing hard at the surface. Within 24 hrs he was dead. No marks, bumps, red gills, scales all nice and flat against the body, color good. Here is a video of what he was doing:

I now have 2 more rainbows (both females) doing the same thing. They look the same as always. It is only the rainbows who are having a problem, all the other fish are fine. Water is 0/0/10 pH 7.0 – 7.2, temp 77.2, GH 4. As I use RO/DI water, the parameters are consistent from week to week. Just did a 40% water change yesterday and cleaned the left side filter.

I thought maybe these were older fish when I bought them. They have been very healthy, very active and with good appetites – until now. Again, it is only the rainbows who are having trouble.

After 3 months, could this be from cycling my tank back on 12/19 with the rainbows and the Tetra Safe Start? If that's the case, I will be very sad as I love my rainbows. I cycled that way at the urging of my LFS guy (don't yell too loudly at me). If this is the reason, I will have a talk with him, as the rainbows are not an inexpensive fish and I really like them. I will be very upset if I lose any more of them. The shop owner told me she would never have recommended the rainbows for cycling, as they are expensive.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 03-19-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"