· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy water =/

0 Not allowed!
    My cannister filter has plastic rings and ceramic chips for bio-filtration (bacteria lives and grows on this) and a basket with foam pads and fine filter wool at the top. I only open the cannister every three or four months (as it is huge and doesn't need it) and I rinse everything in tank water except for the floss - which I run for 10-15 minutes under the tap to get it clean. Every 6 months I will change the floss completely for new stuff. I also use a pre-filter sponge over the intake and rinse this under the tap every week - this catches most of the debris before it enters the filter.

Yes, bacteria may well grow on/in the sponges but my filtration is large enough (with the ceramics and plastics) that I can rinse the debris-catching parts under the tap with no ill effects on the nitrogen cycle in the filter.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't bough anything else for my filter, because I'm broke right now lol. I tested my water last night at work. only about 10 Nitrates, no Nitrites, and no ammonia......

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Feeding fish should not be as long as 3 minutes unless they are really slow eaters. Some fish can consume food in less than 30 seconds, and their bellies look like it will pop.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah, I was overfeeding for sure. Question, should I vacuum my gravel if there is no debris, algae, or anything else? If I'm vacuuming my gravel and it's virtually spotless wouldn't I just be disturbing my bacteria?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most of it lives in the filters. If you are losing your cycle because you are vacuuming your gravel, then that means that you have an undergravel filter (sounds unlikely in your case) or that you don't have enough filtration.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm bumbling this thread, because I've still seen little to no results and would still love any help you guys can offer =).

So as far as trying to address my water as an over feeding issue, it didn't work. I cut my feeding down to the every 3rd day at first and only feed them about as much as they can eat in about 30 seconds. I was doing about 30% water changes, vacuuming out the gravel, every other day. my water showed no sings of clearing up, so I've upped my feeding to every other day and only as much as they can eat in about 30 seconds.

now I also have a question, between what I've read, and what I've been told are two total different things. I went down to one of my local fish stores and told the guy who helped me about my little problem. we both agreed that it's a bacteria bloom. He said my main problem is that I'm doing to many water changes to frequently, and because of that I'm disturbing the bacteria to much therefor not allowing it to reestablish itself and clear my water out. The few articles I've read said that small frequent water changes would help. The guy at the fish store also told me to replace my carbon regularly, but I don't wanna do that since I have plants. so which is it? do I just leave it alone and wait for the bacteria to reestablish or keep doing water changes to help clear things out? how long do most Bacteria blooms take to clear out? It's almost been a month since this started.

I've added a Pre filter to Marnieland Penguin 200, which is rated for 50 gallons, if that changes anything.
    my water test have not changes in any way. No ammonia, no nitrite, and only about 10ppm of nitrate.
    if you don't feel like looking back thought the thread, my tank is 29G with 6 Tiger Barbs, 1 Black Molly, and 1 Rainbow Shark. I have about 10 plants in there, and they're under two T5 light bulbs running 62 waits.

any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think water changes will be negatively affecting your cycle. If your ammo and trite readings remain zero the cycle is stable. It's odd you still have clouding issues. You could try reducing your water changes but I am not convinced this is the cause.

Don't listen to the advice about regularly changing the carbon. This is pointless. All you will go is throw away your bb and interrupt the cycle. Have you tried using a fine filter floss to catch debris? How carefully do you pour water back into the tank when doing changes?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    tQMjjGi.jpg
    Here is a picture of my water if it helps anyone help me.

I pour my water back into my tank very carefully. I bought a Marineland filter pad and I've been running it for almost 2 weeks. I haven't done a water change since last Wednesday.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow - that's not "cloudy" water, that's a huge algae bloom!

How long are your lights on for?
    Do you know if you have silicates in your tap water?

0 Not allowed!
    A picture says more than a 1000 words.

This is green water. nitrates are not the issue, nor is it a traditional bacterial bloom.

Cutting the photo period might help, adding a good general plant fertiziler might help. Algae use nutrients the plants cannot use.