· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry. I have a bit of a disagreement about the possibility of whether medication is affecting the cycle. I hope no offense is taken.

Metronidazole is specifically an anaerobic antibacterial agent. http://www.ask.com/wiki/Metronidazole
    Nitro somas are anaerobic bacterium. The directions instruct a complete to partial daily water change sequence most likely for this reason.

Pima fix. Here is the MSDS safety sheet for it. http://cms.marsfishcare.com/files/ms...fix_111909.pdf

With Pima fix the situation is a bit different in how it can possibly damage the cycle. In general if we read the directions and dose at the recommended dosage we have no real issues. If we alter the situation we can have issues. If we dose more than is suggested we get a higher dosage, if we add more without a water change we get a higher dosage. If you have ever over dosed your aquarium with this product you witness an extreme respiratory distress. The fish die at not much over the required dosage.

My point is that both of these are fairly toxic substances if not used absolutely correctly. In such a case your cycle most likely could be damaged. I would review how the medications were used and make certain I stayed within the dosage limits.

These medication cycle interuptions can become fairly confusing if we don't dissect them. You can tend to keep adding stuff to the system. It will drive you nuts.

I'm not finding much on whether these two medications can be used together but I'm guessing they are most likely not going to be absolutely compatible. I think at the very least careful monitoring be done. I personally have had issues when dosing both medications at full strength and have had to adjust down the dosages. The fish get sort of anxious which indicates a stressor in the water.
    Last edited by Indian Woods Angels; 03-25-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    BigBlak, lost the cycle was a bit extreme. The drop in pH slowed down the growth of the bacteria needed to keep the cycle, since the fish were still producing ammonia at the same level, but the bacteria were not growing at the level needed, you lost enough of the cycle to cause the issues you are having now. Since you have dealt with the pH drop, I think you will see things clear up, but keep up those water changes.

Indian Woods Angels
    http://www.aquapages.info/Page21aa.html
    http://www.ehow.com/list_7572055_org...spiration.html
    http://www.lenntech.com/nitrogen-cycle.htm
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with the greater problem.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So earlier today say about 4pm pt it is now 8:30pm pt and here are my test results . I'm not going to jump for joy just yet but here are my readings.. Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 40ppm PH 7.6 I bought a KH (Carbonate Hardness Test) and my aquarium water it took about 7 drops to turn from blue to a tanish not yellow but tan I'm not sure if I keep adding until yellow or just a change bare with me since its my first time. But yea I know My results are far from stable and need at least a few days to confirm I'm over the mountin.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad things are working out, keep testing for a while, and the nitrates are still a bit high but in the "safe zone". I would do another water change to bring them down. Have you tested the KH of the tap water? Your tank water is reading fairly soft, I am interested in seeing the difference, if any, of your tap water and tank water. Here is some information you might be interested in to help understand the importance of KH and GH and how they relate and affect pH.
    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumkh.html
    http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...-ph-shock.html
    http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...-ph-shock.html
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you stop she it goes from blue to a different color ? Because that's what I did but it wasn't quite yellow it was tanish. And how many drops is ideal considered neutral ?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The last time I checked the KH in my tanks the color changed completely from blue to yellow so I stopped adding. Honestly 1 drop + or - isn't going to make a huge difference in this situation, here is another link for you to read, at the bottom it will show you a chart of what the drops mean in relation to how soft or hard your water is, basically 4-8 drops means soft water. http://www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html If I remember correctly this article also explains why we need to know both GH and KH.What would help us determine a course of action for you is what is the KH and GH of your tap water to compare to the KH and GH of your tank water.