· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To try and straighten out the confusion in 2.5yrs that my 55g was set up with African mbuna and then converted to Rainbow fish this was never a issue never had mini cycles not a problem with my BB consuming the amount of ammonia that the tap produced over night. My PH has always been pretty neutral at 7.2-7.4

I just tested the water right now after doing a 20% water change and adding buffer to my tank and here are the readings PH 7.6 Ammonia 1ppm Nitrite .25ppm Nitrate 20ppm ( was 40 before water change) now is this a full blown recycle or a mini cycle ? Will nitrite spike hard ? What should I expect and should I continue to do my 20% every other day ? PH was definitely the problem because now nitrite is present again and I assume by tonight or tomorrow morning ammonia will be gone and only nitrite will be present. Today I will be getting the Gh KH reader and will give you guys that reading.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your having a hell of a time keeping things in order. Tbh i would stop altering your water so much. Your PH seems like mine where it cannot hold for longer than 24-48 hours. I used stability by seachem. Although i believe it is a phosphate buffer, it stabilized my ph.
    Sounds like you overloaded you bio system and now your really trashing the environment with these wild swings. If you have a hospitol tank, bail water on that while your tank is stabilized.
    Dont use ro/di water. You essentially have raw h20 and even less buffer than what came out of your treated tap.
    See if you can keep your main tank stable and not soany wild swings. 5% change of water slowly a day, relax and see if you can pull a couple of stressed fish in another established (or at least more safe) environment.
    The phosphate buffer use at your own risk btw, while i have not had any issues, others have with algae and such.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well. If you added metronidazole as you state "After the spike I added Metro" metronidazole and pima fix are not really compatible and then....Metronidazole will wreck your cycle. If you do treat with metronidazole the better way to do so is to add it to a feed or use a pre made staple flake. In this way you dose it directly into the fishes stomach where it is most useful. Any use of metronidazole other than in a feed really should be done in a QT tank. Sorry.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used metro as a feed about 3 times and then just dumped the little bit left over directly in the tank. I didit with pellets the way I did it not sure if correct was I took a few squirts with my turkey vaster of aquarium water in a container add the pellets and let them soak for about a half hour. The first time not so long like 10 mins and just poured it in the tank. And another way I did was I froze it with blood worms and just dumped the cubes in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Neither metro nor Pimafix will hurt the bio-filter.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As I expected ammo is dropping and nitrite is rising. Readings are ammonia .25ppn nitrite .50ppm I'm assuming over night there will no longer be any ammonia and only nitrite should I continue with 20% every other day ? Or wait out the nitrite spike ?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You need to continue with water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite under .50ppm for the health of your fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Reading update. Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite .25ppm ( was up to .50ppm last night) PH 7.6 Nitrate off the charts though at 80ppm. What would you say is happening ?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would say your pH crashed causing you to lose the cycle, it is cycling again, but you aren't changing enough water for the bio-load of the tank.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lost ? I would think stalled since everything is happening so fast right ?. If it was lost wouldn't I be waiting forever for nitrite to even appear and ammonia to drop? I thought this meant that I revived some kind of BB..