· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I took the water to my LFS to see if my test was bogus but he got about 6.2 ish low. I was doing 20% because large Water changes got me into this problem and couldn't see how it would get me out of it. My tap reads 1ppm so doing a large water change didnt seem logical.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I remember the ammonia coming from your tap and seem to recall someone advising you Prime will detoxify that ammonia for 24-48 hours. Since the tank seems to have lost the cycle you should be doing daily water changes, every other day at most and a large water change using Prime should be fine. I have never heard of Pimafix hurting beneficial bacteria and causing trouble with the cycle and I agree with the above poster that it wasn't the issue.
    Prime will detoxify ammonia, but it does not remove it and it will still read on an API ammonia test. How long after you do a water change do you test for ammonia? Could it be that you didn't give the biological filter enough time to fully convert the ammonia added from the tap water?
    A pH of 6.2 will slow down the growth of the bacteria but not kill it off. This may be your real issue. Have you checked the GH and KH of the water in your tank and from the tap? API also makes tests for this and if you don't have them, I suggest you go buy them and find out what they read. You may need to buffer the water so the bacteria can grow faster and keep up with the bio-load of the fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have one of the hardness readers ill go buy one. I would give the tank over night before I tested for ammonia that should be enough time right ? Even so it's not during this spike I have been doing 20% water changes every two days (15g) right now I just did 20g and added some Malawi buffer to the tank about 11 tea spoons worth I'm going to let it get settled and test either a few hours down the line or just wait until tomorrow morning... Pima probably didnt kill my BB but I did read a bit of it altering PH and since my PH was borderline I guess it didnt need much. If not what are other reasons PH could crash so to say ?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Over night would normally be plenty of time, but with low pH there is a possibility of needing more time. Wait until tomorrow sometime and test pH, ammonia, and nitrite again and let us know the results.
    I've never used Pimafix, but have read often that it will not affect bacteria or pH, where did you read it does affect pH? I guess if you used a lot of it, the ingredients, pimenta racemosa and clove oil, might lower pH, but seems like you would need a huge amount and if you stopped using it, the pH should have come back up to it's normal level and stabilized with the frequent water changes.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know if this information will help you or not but some of the issues you currently have I have experienced. I have used Pimafix in the recent past and it did not in any way affect my ph. What I did find out is that I have a ph of 7.3 out of the tap but a kh of 3 and a gh of 6. My water has almost no buffering capacity. At first I started adding crushed coral to the filter and that helped but every time I did a large pwc I would have a drop in ph (went through a few mini cycles). I figured this was because the water I was adding was not buffered and the slow release of crushed coral could not stabilize the ph quick enough. I did not want to use alkaline & acid buffers because I would have to continue doing this with every wc.
    So here's what I did, got a 45 gallon drum (new) and filled it with my tap water, inserted a heater and a small air pump, added a limestone and tested my ph 8.0...added a piece of driftwood ph7.3. I now use this water to refill my tank. The temp is the same, the ph is the same, my kh is now 4.5. If you have low kh it may be a way to solve your ph crashing and loing bb over and over.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    You have serious issues if your water has a pH of 6.2; yes, bacteria will grow very poorly and process waste more slowly as I understand the situation, If you also have ammonia in your tap (did I read this wrong?) then you are in a very bad situation for fish keeping. Consider an RO system for the tap issue (but frankly, I think it will not help the filter much at all) or a separate algae scrubber tank to process large amountts of water.

Algae in a scrubber does not care if you have a pH of 6.2 or 8 but will consume ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You'd need a small tank, slump system, lights and need to build it to really get around not having the normal filter bacteria. Maybe too much work. You can also consider a small in tank algae scrubber (these are sold on line) to help the filter (might solve the issue of slow growing filter bacteria; if the tap is 1 ppm ammonia, that is hard on the fish if the filter doesn't remove that fast.)

AS for fungus, that could be caused by over feeding and stressed fish (if the ammonia reading is that high.)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Or he could simply continue to buffer the water to increase and stabilize the pH. There is no need to over complicate things with expensive RO systems and algae scrubbers when a simple solution is available.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I would normally agree (for most, adding extra filtration/builds are not the way to go) but if this person's tap has 1 ppm ammonia and the tap is so low in pH, the bacteria will take a hit every single time they do any significant water change - this will prevent the ammonia from being processed fast and maybe lead to a small spike; buffers will not help that situation at all since they take time to affect the water. If one uses the pretreating method for the water then the existing ammonia is still there so the situation is already very complex - more so than a simple, off-the-self scrubber that will carry the load in helping the filter remove the ammonia and at the same time, allow them to keep the same pH water (no complex treatment or pretreatment) and that would appear the easier solution if I was doing it.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-24-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    I don't know if this information will help you or not but some of the issues you currently have I have experienced. I have used Pimafix in the recent past and it did not in any way affect my ph. What I did find out is that I have a ph of 7.3 out of the tap but a kh of 3 and a gh of 6. My water has almost no buffering capacity. At first I started adding crushed coral to the filter and that helped but every time I did a large pwc I would have a drop in ph (went through a few mini cycles). I figured this was because the water I was adding was not buffered and the slow release of crushed coral could not stabilize the ph quick enough. I did not want to use alkaline & acid buffers because I would have to continue doing this with every wc.
    So here's what I did, got a 45 gallon drum (new) and filled it with my tap water, inserted a heater and a small air pump, added a limestone and tested my ph 8.0...added a piece of driftwood ph7.3. I now use this water to refill my tank. The temp is the same, the ph is the same, my kh is now 4.5. If you have low kh it may be a way to solve your ph crashing and loing bb over and over.
    Simple, inexpensive, effective, and doesn't make your tank look like a high school science experiment.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Or he could simply continue to buffer the water to increase and stabilize the pH. There is no need to over complicate things with expensive RO systems and algae scrubbers when a simple solution is available.
    Yes, I agree here. If the OP starts to use RO\DI water, it will need minerals added back any way, so why not just buffer the tap water. Prime should neutralize the live ammonia long enough for the biofilter to consume it.

First we need to know the GH and KH of the tap water.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"