· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Threaded View

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry. I have a bit of a disagreement about the possibility of whether medication is affecting the cycle. I hope no offense is taken.

Metronidazole is specifically an anaerobic antibacterial agent. http://www.ask.com/wiki/Metronidazole
    Nitro somas are anaerobic bacterium. The directions instruct a complete to partial daily water change sequence most likely for this reason.

Pima fix. Here is the MSDS safety sheet for it. http://cms.marsfishcare.com/files/ms...fix_111909.pdf

With Pima fix the situation is a bit different in how it can possibly damage the cycle. In general if we read the directions and dose at the recommended dosage we have no real issues. If we alter the situation we can have issues. If we dose more than is suggested we get a higher dosage, if we add more without a water change we get a higher dosage. If you have ever over dosed your aquarium with this product you witness an extreme respiratory distress. The fish die at not much over the required dosage.

My point is that both of these are fairly toxic substances if not used absolutely correctly. In such a case your cycle most likely could be damaged. I would review how the medications were used and make certain I stayed within the dosage limits.

These medication cycle interuptions can become fairly confusing if we don't dissect them. You can tend to keep adding stuff to the system. It will drive you nuts.

I'm not finding much on whether these two medications can be used together but I'm guessing they are most likely not going to be absolutely compatible. I think at the very least careful monitoring be done. I personally have had issues when dosing both medications at full strength and have had to adjust down the dosages. The fish get sort of anxious which indicates a stressor in the water.
    Last edited by Indian Woods Angels; 03-25-2013 at 11:04 PM.