· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Mini Cycle, Reverse Cycle , or Lost Cycle Because of Pima Fix ?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a ongoing spike that is driving me nuts and I don't know what else to blar but pimafix. Last week I had a fungal/bacteria outbreak in my tank one fish died because of that, I lost about a handful of little guys which I thought was because of that but it turned out that I had a nitrite spike .25-.50ppm. Thought to myself how and then I realized the sequence of no-no's I've done to cause it. So this Is how I got the spike,I did a 60% water change then I added 4 adult cichlids 2 of them 5"+ 1 was 4" and the last one was 3"-4" and on top of that I continued with my feeding which is pretty heavy and is twice a day. Sounds like a legit way to get a spike ? Well there was no ammonia the time I checked just only nitrite which within a few days subsided. After the spike I added Metro just in case it was something internal as half of them was catching it bought the 5oz tube and used all of that with in a week every two days. After I used that up I waited two maybe three days before I started pimafix. And I used that as instructed on the bottle for 6 days until I noticed this ammonia spike. It's a level 2 spike which means its in between 1ppm and 2ppm of ammonia with no nitrite and hasn't gone anywhere for a few days now my fish are ok and don't seem to be bothered by it but I want it gone I have fish on hold that I already purchased (mostly replacements of the ones I lost) but yea is this a mini cycle, reverse cycle or did I lose my cycle completely ? What do you think caused this And what do I do on top of frequent water changes?
    Last edited by BiGBlak; 03-18-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Doesn't really matter if it is mini, reversed, or lost, the remedy is the same. Test daily and water change accordingly. Pima Fix shouldn't mess up a cycle, or at least I have never heard of it doing so. Keep testing and doing enough water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite around .25ppm and wait it out.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would you say 10% a day ? Or more ?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Test for ammonia and nitrites and change enough water to keep them around .25ppm. This could be 10% daily it could be 50%, depends on the readings. If your ammonia is still at 2ppm you need to do 2 75% changes to bring it down to a safer level.
    Last edited by mommy1; 03-18-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As mommyone said, the size of the change is dictated by the ammonia or nitrite level - 50% change will reduce the level by 50% ie if your ammonia is 0.4, 50% change brings it down to 0.2, and so on until the cycle starts taking care of it. Use a calculator if necessary and test often, if you can keep the levels down most of your fish will survive. If you already had a spike or lost cycle, adding adult fish would compound the problem, as your bioload was already too heavy for what you had, and you're right, heavy feeding would also contribute. The news aint all bad though, it can still be managed as detailed earlier. Good luck!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mommy1 Do i have a false test or something in my water altering my test results ? Its been a week of ammonia supposedly being 1-2ppm fish are lively eating and being normal no deaths and ive done 20% water changes every two days since last weekend about to do another 20%. Say worst case scenario i lost my cycle why is my nitrite not even climbing ? This is so irritating.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    did your test kit expire?
    Maybe it's contaiminated somehow, or the test vials have some built up residue?

I've used pimafix with no negative side effects...so i don't believe it is that as well.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ph crash pima altered my all ready low ph and its looking like i dont have a cycle because of it. Im going to do a water change and buffer my tank and hopefully grow bacteria
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Just out of curiosity when you did the 60 percent water change did you happen to clean the filter as well?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    20% water change isn't going to lower much of anything, even if you do them every other day. You need to do bigger water changes. How low did your pH drop and what is it now?