· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cannister Filter Owners - How often do you open your filter?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm just curious as to how often you open up the cannister to clean/rinse the contents.

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the water in my tank has a fine suspension of particles that wasn't being caught by the pre-filter (which is thoroughly rinsed every week). I knew the filter floss/wool inside the cannister must have become clogged as it wasn't "polishing" the water like it used to - so for me, that means it's time open it up. I rinsed the contents of the cannister in old tank water this weekend. I replaced the filter floss for brand new stuff and gave the impeller a clean.

This got me thinking about how often I do this. Last time I opened the filter up was just before Christmas. I'd say that wasn't a bad innings! It's a pretty massive filter for the 120 litre tank and has a very fine, large pre-filter sponge over the intake which is thoroughly rinsed through every week. This extends the time between openings considerably - before I got a pre-filter I was having to open up the cannister every month.

Because my cannister isn't the best model on the market (I'd strongly recommend Eheim Classic cannisters but not the Pro 3) I feel my maintenance routine on this one will hopefully extend the life of it, i.e. I'm now no longer constantly opening/closing the valves and seals. What do others think and do in your routine?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Every 2-3weeks. I'm a little ubder filtered and the peat clogs up the floss quickly. Still gives me a chance to fish out tge shrimps

0 Not allowed!
    I don't use carbon, I don't use floss and my tanks are not planted. And I do not use a prefilter on the intake. I use fluval ceramic prefilters in the first tray - they catch large particle without restricting the water flow. Next tray is sponge, then the rest of the filter is filled with biomax.

I open them up to clean them every June and December. When I do, I thoroughly clean the sponges in tap water. I then give the ceramic medias a quick rinse in tap water, then back in the filter everything goes.
    Last edited by jaysee; 03-25-2013 at 08:22 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, yes I think planted tanks add a lot of muck to filters. When I had my Tanganyikan set-up I only opened the filter every six months. Bliss!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    in my old planted set up, I waited 3-4months to crack her open again for a cleaning.

big mistake. everything was so dirty...

now i'm redoing my tank-light planted set up and will play with this time frame again.
    but i'm seeing those "little particles" come from my HOB's currently...need to explore another media option to grab them. i hate seeing those!

0 Not allowed!
    every two weeks I give all media a light rinse and every week I clean the filter pads designed to trap fine debris, as they clog faster than everyone else.
    minimizes nitrates and reduces the amount of cleaning in one go.

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 rena xp canister filters, I tend to understock my aquariums so I will sometimes wait 2-3 months before cleaning them.

0 Not allowed!
    LAst time I opened my filter I must have left it a bit longer than I normally do. 15 shrimps and some had moulted recently.

One tip. Get some vaseline and rub thinly on any o-rings your filter might have. Oh, and if you have a system without a priming button like my eheim classic. This is the easiest way to start it again:

http://www.eheimna.com/faqs/faqQuestionAnswer/9

0 Not allowed!
    That's a handy link - I worked that out for myself when I used my classic...but not after a few mouthfuls of water, sucking on wrong pipe...and even blowing into one. Amateur!

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah.. and funny enough it's not on the European site and not in the printed manuals either. That's the worst thing about eheim filters, the manual.