· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question 29g stocking question

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all! I have a 29 gallon lightly planted tank. My params are all fine (0amm, 0ni, ~10na), and it is filtered with a Marineland Penguin 200 and a Tetra Whisper 10i. It's also lightly planted with vallisneria americana, hornwort and a little bit of duckweed. Currently I am a bit overstocked with 9 neon tetras, 3 platies, 1 male betta, 3 ghost shrimp, 6 bronze cories and 3 peppered cories. I haven't had any problems with water quality since I added the last of the fish two months ago.
    I am wondering if I can afford to add a few more neons. AqAdvisor says I have 128% filter capacity (I know it's not the most reliable source, but thought it was worth mentioning), and I know neon tetras don't add a whole lot to the bioload. What concerns me is whether or not adding more tetras will crowd and stress the fish I already have, especially the betta.
    I'd appreciate any input that you guys may have, thanks.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That depends... How many exactly do you want to add?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, neons are very low bio-load. As long as your Betta doesn't eat them, more will be fine. I kept 43 neons (nothing else) in my planted 29 gallon at one time and it was my coolest tank ever.

0 Not allowed!
    That level of stock leaves no room for error though. I prefer to stock lighter and would only add 5 more tops.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dankylosaur View Post
    Hello all! I have a 29 gallon lightly planted tank. My params are all fine (0amm, 0ni, ~10na), and it is filtered with a Marineland Penguin 200 and a Tetra Whisper 10i. It's also lightly planted with vallisneria americana, hornwort and a little bit of duckweed. Currently I am a bit overstocked with 9 neon tetras, 3 platies, 1 male betta, 3 ghost shrimp, 6 bronze cories and 3 peppered cories. I haven't had any problems with water quality since I added the last of the fish two months ago.
    I am wondering if I can afford to add a few more neons. AqAdvisor says I have 128% filter capacity (I know it's not the most reliable source, but thought it was worth mentioning), and I know neon tetras don't add a whole lot to the bioload. What concerns me is whether or not adding more tetras will crowd and stress the fish I already have, especially the betta.
    I'd appreciate any input that you guys may have, thanks.
    That's not overstocked at all, in my opinion and experience. I would consider it on the lighter side. There are 2 kinds of overstocked - keeping fish that are too big for the tank, and keeping so many fish that they are bumping into each other. All the fish you have are appropriate for the tank, so scenario one doesn't apply. So, it's a matter of the population density. I think you have plenty of room to add more neons, and if the neons aren't a problem for the betta now, I do not foresee a problem.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L