· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question A few more questions. Tetra, Ghost Shrimp, and Betta

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I hate to be annoying with all of the questions that I've been asking, but so far, all of the help we've been getting here has saved our fish several times over and I'd like to not lose any.

Questions about Neon Tetra:

We have a gold mystery snail (named Blaze) and his shell had been getting damaged so we put a small piece of cuttle bone in the tank and it has helped him a great deal, but two of our neons have a habit of swimming against the plants in the tank and one in particular has found a new love of rubbing against the cuttlebone. He has done it so much that he now has little particles stuck to him. Is this okay? Our other "rubber" has some particles on his head. We know that it isn't fungus or growths because the particles are never in the same place twice on the main "rubber". Would it be a good choice to move the cuttle bone so that they can't rub on it? I'm worried that they'll scratch or cut themselves one of these days.

Questions about a Veiltail Betta male:

The last three days we have been doing major changes to the water for him because he was getting sick off of nitrates and high alkaline water. His tail fin has looked matted from about halfway to the tip. After a half water change and restarting his tank cycle, he has his energy back and is looking and acting much better, but his tail is still looking a little matted. Should I still use the medicine that I got to repair his fins or wait to see if he continues to improve? Also, the cuttlebone seems to help with the alkalinity in the neon tetra's tank so I'm wondering if putting some into the betta's tank will keep the alkaline down. I don't want to try it and risk hurting my darling, I really don't think I would be able to replace him if he dies.

Questions about Ghost Shrimp:

We have 2. One is male and one is female. After putting the cuttlebone into the tank to help the snail, the ghost shrimp bred. Now the female has been carrying eggs for three days now. Can anyone tell me how long she will carry them? It makes it hard for her to get to the top to get food like she usually likes to do. She still eats, but she's always crawling along the bottom when she used to swim all over. I'm sure it's natural and won't hurt her, but I had read somewhere online that shrimp don't carry their eggs this long. I know Ghosties are different, but is it okay for it to take this long? How long do they normally carry the eggs before they hatch or have to let go of them? The number of eggs that she's carrying has decreased over the last 2 days, but she still carries the rest around. Were the people at the other site misinformed about the 24 hour carrying time or were they averaging it? It's hard to find info about these guys. The closest I came to ghost shrimp are the red ones that are usually raised for food, and bamboo shrimp info.
    Observer of: Shy Zoro the ghost shrimp, 13 neon tetras whom we cannot tell apart, one Gold Mystery Snail named Blaze (cuz he'd win any race), a delta tail blue betta male (Train), female betta (named Missy), a bristle nose Pleco (Play), as well as 3 cats, and a school of dogs.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmmmm....about the neon tetras, it sounds like they have Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, or ick. I would go look it up on the internet and see if it is true that that is what they have, because symptoms of Ick (white spots and rubbing) match the symptoms of your neons.
    About the betta, I would keep up with the treatment. Better safe than sorry, right? And since it sounds he is improving, you must be doing something right
    Can't help with the shrimps, sorry
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I didn't know that the rubbing was Ich-related. I'll be looking that up right now.
    Observer of: Shy Zoro the ghost shrimp, 13 neon tetras whom we cannot tell apart, one Gold Mystery Snail named Blaze (cuz he'd win any race), a delta tail blue betta male (Train), female betta (named Missy), a bristle nose Pleco (Play), as well as 3 cats, and a school of dogs.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal! Keep the thread posted
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    The sites that I just checked seem to agree that the water temp needs to gradually increase and be kept at a steady 82 degrees in order to help defeat the parasites, but I've also found much information that neon tetras are less likely to survive in that high of water temperature. Should I stick with getting anti-ich treatment or go ahead with the temperature increase.

The tetras are happiest at 74 degrees and show less stress. Also Ich will thrive in 80 degrees... How in the world should I manage this?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You need to get a treatment for Ich (might state it as white spot on some treatments), the increase of temperature just increases the life cycle of the parasite. Follow the treatment guidelines closely (as in the days on which to treat) as Ich can only be killed with the treatment in its free swimming stages so a single dose won't be effective.
    75 Litre (20 Gallon) - 5 Harlequins, 6 Cories, 2 Golden Barbs, 1 Glowlight, 2 Red Wag Swords (Male and Female), 4 Otos

113 Litre (30 Gallon) - Empty (Waiting to build a stand before i use it)

60 Litre Hex - Empty

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    *the increase of temperature just increases the speed of the life cycle of the parasite.

(correction in my previous post as i missed a few words out) :)
    75 Litre (20 Gallon) - 5 Harlequins, 6 Cories, 2 Golden Barbs, 1 Glowlight, 2 Red Wag Swords (Male and Female), 4 Otos

113 Litre (30 Gallon) - Empty (Waiting to build a stand before i use it)

60 Litre Hex - Empty