· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Transferring a koi from 82 degree water to possibly 32ish degree water.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using a beautiful 7'' koi that is meant as gift to my aunt and her large pond once I finish cycling. Most likely in Schuylkill County PA the temp will be in the upper 40s by then or so but the pond water might be just around freezing. My plan was to take the koi and tank water in a 5 gallon bucket and slowly let the temp drop slowly while I add small amounts of water from the pond to the bucket over maybe an hour+. Does that sound about right to you guys?

I've grown to like this fish and my aunt always wanted a koi but was too cheap to buy a nice one so she only has big goldfish lol. It would be a travesty if he died in the move so any advice to prevent that would be good. I can't keep him any longer than the first of the coming month or I'd wait til it warms up more.

0 Not allowed!
    i would not subject a fish to that much of a difference in water temperature over the course of even days. is there no way you could wait until late spring when the water has reaches at least 50 degrees? the fact that you are keeping a koi at such unusually high temperatures also is making things difficult by increasing the temperature difference. before you transfer your fish, I would recommend dropping the temperature in your aquarium to ambient temperature over the course of a few days to decrease the difference in tank temperature and pond temperature.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I could sell him back to the pet shop or keep him in a 5 gallon bucket for a couple days but he has to go early April. I'm hoping we get a few days of higher temps to make it easier. Ambient temp wise my tank will sit around 72 degrees which would help close the gap.

Next time I won't subject a fish to a cycle but it's what I always did before and I never even thought of a fish less cycle before I got him.

0 Not allowed!
    i guess if it has to be it has to be...
    what is the coldest place above freezing you could realistically set up a tank with the koi? I know some people have really cold basements, attics, stairways, etc.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a koi pond and live in Luzerne County PA, even with a pond heater/de-icer running all winter the fish are inactive due to the temperature, I can't imagine trying to reduce the temperature for the koi from 82 to 32ish in an hour or so...that just doesn't happen in nature. Could you start slowly reducing the temperature in the tank now and then place the koi in an unheated tank in a cooler location until it is warm enough to safely transfer him?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I could slowly lower the temp in the current tank and then keep him in a little tank in my aunt's basement for awhile which is cooler but not as cold as outside. If I feel like its too much of a risk transferring him I'll simply take him back to the pet shop rather than have him dead on my account.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I thinks that's the best decision for the fish