· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, that is a lot of bottom dwelling fish. How about picking one cory species and getting 10 of one species instead of 7 of 2 different species. The ones you listed get up to 2.5 and 3 inches each, have you considered the smaller panda cory? They would be better suited for the footprint of a 29g. Personally, I would choose either the ram or the pleco (I like clowns), just to keep plenty of room in the bottom of the tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    I really opened a can of worms on the subject lol. Thx for all the info, I had no idea there were so many fakes in this hobby until I started ordering through a LFS; they don't even know they are getting the wrong species half the time.. I have tons of time to think about plecos since it would be the last fish to go in next to my GBR; weather I should even get another fish to begin with even.
    Well.. identifying loricariidae is sometimes tricky. The fact that a lot of people in the states refer to them all as "plecs" and that most dealers use common names and not L-numbers does not help. (we get that annoying habit over here as well now)

i'd say either buy via aquabid or find a good local dealer and even then check the identification
    Everyone has been telling me to keep at least 7 corys of a type (I have no experience with them) so considering how small they are and how the actual obstacles of driftwood and plants are mostly vertical along with a sand bottom I thought it would be okay. It does sounds like a ton of fish on my tank bottom but when I think about it they will likely come in at an inch or so.
    I don't think I quite understand this. C. Julii reaches an adult length of a little over 2 inch and the same goes for sterbai. Getting two groups of 7 would sort of work. Considering the floor space and that you want one special "plec" a group of 10 of either sterbai or julii makes the most sense. The cories love being in big groups of the same species.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of the size I'd get them at I didn't realize that they can get near 3 inches. Now I'm thinking maybe 7-10 or so of the sterba. I wish I could do 2 groups of 5 but it seems that isn't the way to go. I really like the look of the sterba corys and that way like you said I'd have one big happy school with a nice dwarf pleco instead of more corys.

My LFS can get me sterbas for 7 bucks a piece which is kinda high; I'd order online but with how my tank is I can't order all the fish I want at once so shipping would kill me. I'm still waiting to hear their prices on the tetras and plecos I want.

Sterbas can also handle the higher temps a GBR would like; unlike many of my other cory options. Something I also need to take into consideration with a pleco. I've always kept central/south american cichlids and kind of miss them so I will def. be getting a GBR.

Also on the note of higher temps what are some good dwarf plecos for 80-82 degree water??
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 03-19-2013 at 06:08 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like I nudged you in the right direction. I assume you know about planetcatfish.com

Anyway... hypancistrus or peckoltia are the best genus to look at.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you researched a Bulldog Rubber-lipped pleco? I have one which got along well with my GBR pair and 6 Panda Cories in a driftwood. planted 29 gallon. Weekly veggie feeding were a must but everyone seemed content until they found a 55 gallon to call home. Now minus the GBR pair, they reside in my sons somewhat smaller tank with the schools of tetras.
    If your going to stock on the heavy side make sure you have as much filtration as you can afford.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Planet catfish is down so I haven't been able to look into plecos much but my only concern about a bulldog rubber-lipped is that my tanks black sand and background so I need fish that will stand out.

I'm rocking an emperor 400, and 2 jebos each rated at 100gph; I turn over my tank water 20 times an hour atm. I have as many filters that can fit on the back as possible. I could look into maybe swapping those 2 jebos out for a bio wheel filter or something similar as long as it can fit in 12 inches of space. I will never buy another emperor tho, not because they aren't good filters but because they are noisy as hell even having replaced parts on it after wear.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Are the Jebos canister filters? I have only run a Fluval canister and it was super quiet and it did the job. The 350 Penguin with duel Bio-wheels was ok but a little noisy when the water level dropped 1/2 inch.
    I haven't tried a larger AC type HOB but alot of hobbyists say they rock.

I like canisters for the quiet, easy to clean, and they do the job.

My tank has black gravel and the bulldog sticks out on it. He makes sure you see him, like a pet dog. "Give me a treat." is what I get out of that. lol
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't ever used canister filters but it's crossed my mind; it's a shame I got so many emperor 400s and jebos that hang off the back when I first got started with the hobby. The jebos are quiet but the emperor makes a constant humming sound which drives me nuts if the tank water is so high you can't hear the water sound to cover it up.

My fish tank is in my zen room so no electronics etc just my fish, a papasan chair, and my library. The humming would be nice to get rid of with a nice quiet canister filter.I really like the idea of making the switch but wouldn't it cause another cycle? or could I use the filter media I have inside the hanging filters?

You really love your bulldog pleco don't you? They look pretty cool, I did some research (planetcatfish is still down for me) and they get 5 inches which would be a lil too big for my 29g how it's stocked, unless I found the wrong species while looking. I'm aiming for a 3-4inch max size pleco.

0 Not allowed!
    -> I really like the idea of making the switch but wouldn't it cause another cycle? or could I use the filter media I have inside the hanging filters?

Replying to post number 18, if you are transferring from one filter to another you can run both in parallel for a while I have seen others say run in parallel for 8 weeks. That's what I am currently doing with my bio wheel, it will be transferred to tank in the garage where the noise it makes will no longer interfere with the TV. Transferring the media would work typically work unless it is a bio-wheel or used to getting more oxygen than in the cannister. I will be making the final part of my switch as soon as I have sorted out power extensions in the garage next week.

I use an Aquatop Cf-500 behemoth for my cannister, there are smaller versions though. It is very quiet and stays quiet so long as you don't accidentally run it dry and damage the impeller. The reviews online might give you the impression that it is silent but that is not the case. I don't notice the noise unless there are no other sounds.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It can't be louder than my emperor 400 that thing drives me insane. Also with sand the impellers wear rather fast so I'm always buying new ones; maybe when I have some extra cash I'll do like you said with a canister filter.

Still debating getting more light for the tank if my god forsaken driftwood would sink I've been waiting 2 months now and its still tied down in there to a bigass rock. I could order a nice package from mikeswetpets on aquabid. All I got was junk plant wise around here infested with MTS even when I took my koi back and got free plants they were sad looking compared to what that guy sells on aquabid.