· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Ideal dwarf plecos for a 29g planted/driftwood heavy tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I won't be getting a pleco for a long time since they are so expensive and I need to have a really healthy tank before I'd consider a 50+ dollar fish. My favorites in order, Zebra, scribbled/netwrok/king tiger, tiger, candy stripe, then panther. I'll know which they can order 2morrow but until then I'd like some input.

PH is 6.4 and I have an emperor 400 and 2 jebo filters rated at 100gh each and like the title says tons of driftwood and plants; eventually the tank will have 7 Julii corys, 7 stebra corys, 6 tetras (still waiting to hear which they can order for me) 1 GBR. I know it's going to be stocked on the heavier side but ill be adding new fish slowly and I have no issues with doing water changes.

So which would you all recommend once my tank is past cycled and very healthy. Other types of pleco options welcomed they were just my favorites. I've had a bristlenose and regular pleco in the past; fairly new to the expensive dwarf plecos.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure if you have thought about clown plecos, right? Is it just a personal preference to not consider them? They sound perfect for your tank Seems like your tank will look very nice!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have a clown. They are only $5 where i am and they are beautiful and have great personalities and are awesome and dwarf. :)
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I recently got rid of all my Clowns to concentrate on breeding BN's. They are great little fish, I do have an L226 the now, which I think may be the tiger pleco you reffered to I think they might get slightly too large for you.

Using L numbers is far more accurate as common names overlap far too much. Tiger pleco can easily cover many species
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did use the L Numbers, I left the list at the petshop and quick jotted down a list for myself but I left out the L numbers I gave the pet shop.....ooops. The boss comes in Monday and will let me know what is available I might call and add clown couple to the list they are rather nice....and cheap heh.

I have ALWAYS wanted a zebra pleco but was never willing to pay that much for a fish until now. I listed the L numbers; on planet catfish none get over 3-3.9 inches. Since all I can have is this single 29g money isn't a concern I'll pay $50+ plus if I can get a true zebra or if not maybe a tiger they were my top 2. I'd love to get 2 plecos but that's too much I think for the tank unless I ditch the GBR or something.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    You know true zebra plecos need meaty food and wont do much damage on any algae. Do you have any experience with plecos? If not id work my way up from bns before you spend well over 200$ for a zebra. Thats a low price for true zebras btw...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow that's quite a lot. I've plenty of experience with Bristle nose and normal ones. I'm looking to get a great looking dwarf variety as my final fish for the tank once I stock the rest.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    just an idea:
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...36&pcatid=1136
    http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shp&1363615927
    http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shp&1363960067

those are all zebra plecos.
    there are a substitute that shouldnt run you more than 15-40$.... if i can thing about it ill post the name and number

L-333 , L-340 , L134

i have a thread on this subject:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ighlight=zebra
    quite old lol
    Last edited by genocidex; 03-18-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    With the proposed stocking the bottom is heavily loaded, too heavy IMO.

With 14 cories in a heavily planted 29g I hope you used sand to allow the maximum use of open spaces.

A "clown pleco" is the common term for L066 isn't it? That will need it warmer than the cories can comfortably take. With this stocking I think peckoltia vittata or L014 is a much better option. MAtches the temp range of the rest and is quite mild mannered.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really opened a can of worms on the subject lol. Thx for all the info, I had no idea there were so many fakes in this hobby until I started ordering through a LFS; they don't even know they are getting the wrong species half the time.. I have tons of time to think about plecos since it would be the last fish to go in next to my GBR; weather I should even get another fish to begin with even.

Everyone has been telling me to keep at least 7 corys of a type (I have no experience with them) so considering how small they are and how the actual obstacles of driftwood and plants are mostly vertical along with a sand bottom I thought it would be okay. It does sounds like a ton of fish on my tank bottom but when I think about it they will likely come in at an inch or so.

Since I decided not to do SW I thought I'd challenge myself a bit and do a planted cory centric tank neither of which I've had before. I'm already over $100 in and haven't bought any fish (saved alot of money reusing filters, tank, and stand at least). I'm also a far cry from heavily planted atm with a koi mauling my plants until I can swap him for cories.