· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    Like i said I've been keeping logs since march 11th (been cycling since feb 25th) or so when I got my master test kit; you know water changes when I added filter media from my pet shop which they were nice enough to give me 2 large pieces. So I really hope I can order at least 7 corys by the 1st of next month.
    What else are you stocking this tank with? I would recommend adding your other fish first and the cories last. They are more susceptible to ammonia and nitrites because they are bottom dwellers so it would be good to let that cycle stabilize.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you look at the vial with the white part of the card against it (touching) when comparing to the chart?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I rinse mine thoroughly under the sink after, then next time I fill the vial I rinse again a couple times with tank water. I also shake the chems and vials like hell and take water from just below the water surface, maybe a few inches.

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    BTW I also wrap the vial in a paper towel because the shaking does sometimes leak a bit...

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by richberstler View Post
    BTW I also wrap the vial in a paper towel because the shaking does sometimes leak a bit...
    I do that too. Mine leak out the caps when I shake them.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't just shake the heck out of it, I whack it on a table top or my knee while shaking. And dont get me started on the misprinted color card where the colors for 10 and 20ppm are identical. I use a color card that's several years old with the correct colors printed on it.

Oh yeah, not shaking it doesn't just affect the current test in progress. It throws off all future tests too as the concentration of zinc particles in bottle 2 changes. So if you havent adequately shaken the bottle in a while, you might as well discard the bottles and buy a new test kit.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't shake my tests at all. I simply invert the bottle a couple time. What will skew with your results is not waiting the 5 minutes after liquids are mixed ........OR.........not rinsing out the glass vials well enough after previous test. I rinse those vials out 2-3 times.

API is very accurate and reliable and the most used test kit.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Seems like alot of others have issues, I thought mine were messed up because of them leaking sometimes. Thanks to all the helpful advice I got the test to be stable and reliable finally; I just wish the darned colors you match to the vial weren't so similar, I find myself guessing sometimes or logging it down as in between.

On the note of what to stock first that CrunchyLeaf brought up; 7-10 stebra corys, 8-10 tetras (waiting to hear what I can order at my LFS) ideally red phatoms, a GBR, and a high end dwarf pleco. Maybe instead of the corys first I should go with the tetras. I'm 4 weeks in and have 2 left before I can get my fish.

Atm I'm in the nitrite spike stage hopefully by 2 weeks my nitrites are really low or gone and I can get the tetras first instead of the corys? I have seed media from the pet shop so I'm hoping that speeds it up a bit or I might not be ordering anything at all on the first.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 05-19-2013 at 10:59 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Check your tap water too. It sounds like you have your issues figured out, but tap water will contain nitrate as well as ammonia sometimes.

API liquid kits are a fairly reliable test for hobbyist. Much more accurate than say the test strips. But they just give you a general range of what the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH are. If you are looking for very accurate test, take your tank water to your local water treatment plant. Call ahead and they will probably not have a problem testing your tank water from time to time. My local water departments test showed the nitrate that was is in my tanks had 20ppm less nitrate than what I was getting from a liquid API test.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    It really sucks having the lights and substrate etc for a planted tank with a koi who loves to rip plants up.
    Just curious -- what is the size of your tank? Koi can get quite large and are really better suited for a pond. I just finished rehoming two goldfish from my 65 because they were getting too big and hogging food. They're in a pond, now, and probably much happier.

--mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.