· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I cycled?

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That was my thinking also, I dosed it to 3ppm again late last night and was down to 2 this morning. I'm in no rush to buy fish, at this point it's been so long but since I'm finally seeing results I want as strong of filter as I can get. I'll keep you posted.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your almost there. Just keep it at 1-3 ppm every night and if in the morning your close to 0, id check nitrites and see if nitrates are above 20 ppm.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rrutter81 View Post
    Your almost there. Just keep it at 1-3 ppm every night and if in the morning your close to 0, id check nitrites and see if nitrates are above 20 ppm.
    Just a note on that - you don't keep topping it up. It's really important not to do this. You must let it get to zero before dosing again up to 3ppm. If you are in the nitrite stage you should only dose up to 1.5ppm or 2ppm. Any more (and any more frequently) than that and you will stall the cycle.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    firefly is right on this one. Adding to much ammonia will stall the cycle. Add no more than 2ppm ammonia.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You will need more than 2ppm to stall a cycle friends. Usually this information starts at 30 ppm on down til the 2 ppm and lowers each year.
    Ive personally only seen stalled cycles above 20-30 ppm. not 2. However fluctuating your environment from 2 ppm to lets say 10, ive seen stall it for a day or two.

0 Not allowed!
    I beg to differ. The cycle on my last tank stalled for weeks because I didn't re-read the cycling sticky here. As a result, I forgot to half the ammonia during the nitrite stage. Nitrite spiked and stayed spiked. It didn't shift until I lowered the ammonia dose to 1.5ppm-2ppm.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Anything above .1 ppm ammonia will inhibit nitrobacter considerably. However i'm used to nitrosomnas eating 4 ppm within 12 hours. So to each tank their own. Ive seen ph issues stall nitrite reduction more than ammonia composition.
    Good luck

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here’s what’s happened over the past week…

On Saturday morning I did 80% water change to bring the nitrates back down. After that I had readings of 0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I dosed the tank to 2ppm.

Sunday morning, 24 hours later it was at 0, no nitrites, and nitrates were 10ppm. I waited until Sunday night and dosed it to 2 again.

Monday afternoon, 18 hours later it was back at 0, no nitrites, and nitrates were about 20. I waited until Tuesday morning and dosed it to 2. Same thing Tuesday but about 15 hours to get to 0, no nitrites, and nitrates were about 40.

Then on Wednesday morning I dosed it again to 2. 12 hours later I had 0 ammonia, .25 nitrites, and I’m not sure on the nitrates (it was so bright red it might have been 40 or it was off the chart). I had never seen nitrites show up.

Thursday morning I dosed it again to 2 although afterward I thought I should have dosed to only 1 since nitrites had appeared. 12 hours later ammonia was still at .5, nitrites were at .5 and nitrates were still bright red (?).

Friday morning I only dosed to 1 and 12 hours later ammonia and nitrites were both 0.

Yesterday morning I dosed to 2ppm to see what would happen. After 14 hours my ammonia and nitrites were both at .25, and this morning both at 0.

Having bought an established filter several weeks ago and never having seen nitrites appear I thought I had all the bacteria I needed. Did I go thru a mini cycle this week?

I’m not sure what to do today, I think I’ll just dose to 1ppm to keep everything going. Am I cycled enough to do another large water change and add fish? If so, how long should I wait after the water change to add the fish?

All the help I’ve received here has been great. Thank all of you.

0 Not allowed!
    I think, because you've been getting nitrates, you did have a colony of beneficial bacteria on board. It's likely that this past week has been a mini cycle where the colony grew. No bad thing.

You could try adding a fish or two and very gradually stock the tank. What fish are you looking to get? When stocking you should do a huge water change to get the nitrates back down and then introduce fish straight after. A few hours later would be fine.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been thinking about a barb tank. Tiger barbs are beautiful, I saw red tigers last night for the first time, but their reputation proceeds them. Probably looking at cherry barbs and gold barbs. Then I'll add in some cory cats and maybe ghost shrimp. I want a peaceful tank :-)