· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fertilizer question

0 Not allowed!
    I am going to be finalizing my aquarium this week when my plants arrive. I just had a thought... Is there a fertilizer I can put down before I add the rest of the substrate? Just trying to come up with a good initial dosing with out the expense of root tabs. My sts substrate is clay based and should absorb the nutrients. Can anyone recommend a safe fert to use?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    If you are planting some root feeding plants and you already have some plant substrate, then I think root tabs might be your best bet. I've always put mine in when I put the plants in. That way you are not wasting fetrs in areas there won't be any plants.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    I am going to be finalizing my aquarium this week when my plants arrive. I just had a thought... Is there a fertilizer I can put down before I add the rest of the substrate? Just trying to come up with a good initial dosing with out the expense of root tabs. My sts substrate is clay based and should absorb the nutrients. Can anyone recommend a safe fert to use?
    I've worked with dennerle and tetra plant substrate. thin layer capped by whatever you want to look at.

0 Not allowed!
    I just use the flourish root tabs, like $12 and they say they should last 3-6 months

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    I just use the flourish root tabs, like $12 and they say they should last 3-6 months
    Root tabs seem to be the consensus. I will run out and pick up a couple packs today. Expect plants to arrive Wednesday!
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    make sure you sent photos! a journal would be great. I'm going to be redoing a tank this summer and switching from artificial to real plants. Would be fun to see how you do this from the bottom up!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Already way ahead of you fishmommie, mrramsey's 72 gallon bowfront in the aquarium journals

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Already way ahead of you fishmommie, mrramsey's 72 gallon bowfront in the aquarium journals
    Put the link in your signature so people don't have to search for it

EDIT: Just noticed this wasn't the OP lol. Didn't even check the name. Sorry Hardy But then again, I double checked the OP's sig and still don't see the link for the journal in this forum (the link is for an out-of-forum blog). So, once again mrramsey, it would be nice if you linked your journal. And boy should I wait for the coffee kicks in before I start posting here
    Last edited by funkman262; 03-18-2013 at 04:00 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't yell at me

LOL, I've been following the journal, but couldn't provide the link right now. But yes I second the link into the sig... I can't have my journal in my sig for a few reasons, maybe next week I can make a few changes in my sig

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry everyone I for got to put the new journal in my sig but it is there now LOL - Thanks Funkman for pointing it out!
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal