· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Addition of fish=high nitrite. Help!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

Ok I recently added 3 ember tetras to my tank and will be adding more over time.
    The problem is my OH had just put two rams in his tank and the nitrites were too high, so I agreed to put them in mine until his tank was better.

But now my nitrites are horribly high, I assume because of the recent additions. I haven't idea how to lower this, I've done a water change every day since it happened, approx 3 days ago and no change.

Any ideas on a solution, or am I doing the right thing but it takes a while? I don't want my lovely fish to die!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    test the water conditions for nitate readings and then do a water change, have you read on how to do a fish in cycle, the links are in the cycling forum
    we are all on a journey.
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, yes I read that - it says to continue doing water changes, I guess I wanted some re-assurance that I was doing the right thing lol.

Nitrite is currently between 0.25 and 0.50ppm
    Nitrate is current 10ppm.

Before I added the new fish my levels were perfect!

0 Not allowed!
    As already mentioned, you are doing the right thing with the water changes

You also have to base the number and amount of water changes to bring the nitrites levels to no higher than 0.25ppm. As your could be at 0.5ppm right now, I would suggest a 50% water change
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I've done another water change, 50%. How long will it take to get an accurate reading?

0 Not allowed!
    I like to wait about 20 minutes to a hour after a water change
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If possible, my nitrites have risen :(

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    as cliff says try keeping it 0.25 or below, first do test then take it from there, i know there is a lot of info to take in at first, when in doubt rather ask, there are alot of people on this forum with much more experience than me.All of us has made our mistakes before we got to where we are now in fish keeping, i still make rookie mistakes from time to time. and welcome to the forum
    we are all on a journey.
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    If your water parameters were 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and low nitrate until you added new fish your tank is going through a mini-cycle. As others here have already posted keep testing and doing enough water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrite levels around .25ppm. The good news is we call it a mini-cycle because it doesn't usually last to long, you just need to keep an eye on the parameters and be diligent with the water changes to give the already established bacteria time to catch up with the added bio-load.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everytime I do a change the fish seem happier, but after a few hours they all get closer and closer to the surface again! (Bar the cory's and gourami...)

Well, I shall keep trying with the changes and hope for the best! Thank you so much for the support, I'm sure ill be back all panicky in a few days should the levels not go down.