· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    While the tank looks nice but there are some major issues; first, two discus (unless a mated pair) are not going to do well together. More importantly, one 50% water change is grossly too small to grow out young discus - aim for 50% a day would be better, and when full size, 50% bi-weekly might work.

Angels are terrible tank mates for discus since they will bully the discus and eat most the food. Also, angels carry illness's that discus can be harmed by (but since the two types are already doing well together, may not be an issue - just don't add any more angels.)

Still, discus like higher temperatures than most angels will tolerate (84 86) so again, these types do not mix well. Yes, people here do keep these types together but that does not mean it is proper only doable. The issue is treating one or the other to ideal conditions not forcing them to endure poor conditions.

Rocks are very bad for discus - when the discus spook (and they do, often), they go flying around a tank and rocks can cause bad injuries or even death; stick with wood.

Finally, that tank is too small for those fish - discus and angels need more room than that size tank.

I would suggest that you either exchange the angels or the discus. By the way, extra filtration is great but totally useless in reducing water changes - you either need a nitrate reactor or algae scrubber to reduce nitrates and in the later case, the phosphates and nitrates. Extra filters do not increase the tank's ability to have more fish (once max. filtration is reached) - nitrate levels determine stocking level and nitrate levels are only reduced by water changes if one does not have the previously mentioned reactors.

This is your tank so do as you think best but this is what should be done with discus.
    Last edited by Cermet; 04-01-2013 at 10:27 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    if you ask me all those shiny metallic specs can be quarts ie silica. it can dissolve in your water and might cause a diatom issue. but that would be a minimal reaction if you ask me... they look solid. i would test them with vinegar. if they fail that test out the window they go. if they pass it, i would give them a soak in a weak bleach solution for a day then soak them in very hot water ( boil if you want just be aware some rocks may or may not break in boiling water) i would change 100% of the water daily with more hot water for a few days. before adding them to your tank make sure there is no smell of chlorine on them, and if you have one a chlorine test... but it should be fine. i like the 3rd rock as well.

on a side note, make sure they arent any type of sand stone itll crumble easily. by the looks of it you dont
    rocks can do a'lot worst then "break" they can explode when boiled in water just saying :D

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cermet for your sounds advice. I have kept Discus with angels before and i didnt have any issue with them together so long as the Discus were a mated pair. These two are also a mated pair and they (so far) don't seem to mind the angels and vice versa. I dont understand farenheit (sp?) but i keep my tank at 32 degrees. The discus fish are a bit larger than Juvenile, they are about 6" in diameter at the moment so i would think that is middle sized.

One thing i would like to query - The rocks. How can they injure a Discus more than driftwood can? The rocks i have in there hae all got smooth edges, wheras the driftwood is very branchy and pointed.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Cermet was implying that if the fish gets scared or spooked and swims quickly it could run into a run and hurt itself.