· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Rock Advice - Geology help.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello members,

I went to RAK (another emirate in UAE) where i spent a family weekend there. This area has it's fair share of mountains and i saw lots of rocks around. That got me thinking, are any of these safe to use in an aquarium? Some of the rocks i saw were really nice and, since its a mountianeous area, they came in many sizes.

I need to do some more research on the geology of this area, but from what i managed to pick up breifly yesterday using google was that there is alot of granite in the area. They also have limestone but i know what that looks like. These rocks have a 'metallic' look inside in places where there are chips and cracks.

I have picked up 3 that i found and would like to place inside my 60g tank.

This one is alot more orange than the camera picked up, and hasn't yet been cleaned. It's about the size of my cleched fist. I chose this one for it's colour.

This one is quite large, about the size of a rugby ball. It's got a chip at the top middle and it shows that 'metallic' shine i mentioned.

This is my favourite of the 3. Really love the lines that are showing. Due to it's colour i thought it might be limestone, but looking at the chips on top, it again has that 'metallic' shine.

Anybody know anything about Geology or have had experience in the past of using/collecting rocks from the wild rather than in the DIY stores.

I know that if you put calcereous (sp?) rocks in the aquarium, such as limestone, crushed corals, you will see an eventual rise in PH and hardness so you need to be careful abotu stocking lists. My tank is already stocked as a general community so i want to avoid any changes in PH or hardness compared to what it currently is at.

The first thing i plan to do is to scrub them to get the excess sand off them, then i will soak them for 24 hours. After that i will scrub them again and see if i'm still getting alot of sediment off them. If they do, then already i don't want these rocks as they would be calcereous. If they pass this test i will then splash them with white vinegar to see if they foam or froth. If they don't froth and nothing happens then i will do the next step. Lastly i will fill a bucket with water, leave over night, test for PH, KH and GH. Note. Put the rocks in the bucket, cover and leave for 1 week then test the water again. I'm hoping that the results of that test will match the results of the first test which would indicate they are safe to use in my 60g Community.

Am i doing this right? Am i wasting my time? Feedback is welcome.

Lastly i have another idea. Desert sand. There is loads of it here naturally. Is it aquarium safe? The sand in the remote parts are pure sand, no stones or vegetation mixed in. no construction anywhere near it. If it is safe i think it would make for a decent look with the stones i have picked.

Long post i know, but i want to get as much infor as i can and avoid any problems for my current fish.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if you ask me all those shiny metallic specs can be quarts ie silica. it can dissolve in your water and might cause a diatom issue. but that would be a minimal reaction if you ask me... they look solid. i would test them with vinegar. if they fail that test out the window they go. if they pass it, i would give them a soak in a weak bleach solution for a day then soak them in very hot water ( boil if you want just be aware some rocks may or may not break in boiling water) i would change 100% of the water daily with more hot water for a few days. before adding them to your tank make sure there is no smell of chlorine on them, and if you have one a chlorine test... but it should be fine. i like the 3rd rock as well.

on a side note, make sure they arent any type of sand stone itll crumble easily. by the looks of it you dont
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips.

In regards to the metallic shine, you know when you get a rock and smash it in half and you get that metallic look inside which is different to what it looks like on the surface. Thats what im referring to. This give me the impression that it's real good rock and nothing calcereous. But then again im not Geologist hence me posting here to find out more.

I will do the first test this week which is the soak, wash and scrub test to see if it corrodes or not.

Maybe i could trun it into a journal of sorts for the beneift of others?
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    If you are scared that any part of the rock might be calcareous/able to leach harmful stuff into a tank, immerse the entire rocks in a vinegar/water solution and see whether any bubbles form. If they do, that rock has the potential to leach substances into the water.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you put it in the water and it doesn't keep giving off dust, it is fine. I have more than 50 diffirent rocks in my pond I found myself, and after cleaning them, not 1 had a problem. If this doesn't happen, I don't see you having any problems, and there doesn't look like any sharp edges so you're good.

Good luck with the rocks and here's a bottom feeder tip for the rocks. If you clear out some hiding space around under the rock, bottom feeders will love it. This works as a hiding place for baby fish if you have non aggressive bottom feeders. I would love to see the rocks in your tank once done; they look awesome.

0 Not allowed!
    I think crazedmichael has a very good plant to test and prep those rocks. Extremely thorough.

Desert sand... no idea really. I'd expect so.

Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    If you put it in the water and it doesn't keep giving off dust, it is fine. I have more than 50 diffirent rocks in my pond I found myself, and after cleaning them, not 1 had a problem. If this doesn't happen, I don't see you having any problems, and there doesn't look like any sharp edges so you're good.
    Sorry but no. If you run a community tank you don't want anything increasing your GH. So do the vinegar fizz test. Dust has nothing to do with it.
    Good luck with the rocks and here's a bottom feeder tip for the rocks. If you clear out some hiding space around under the rock, bottom feeders will love it. This works as a hiding place for baby fish if you have non aggressive bottom feeders. I would love to see the rocks in your tank once done; they look awesome.
    Again, not necessarily a good idea. Last thing you want is a rock slide that crushes a fish. Yes they like to rummage around a rock but make sure it won't crush anything or crack the tank.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 03-17-2013 at 05:00 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys thanks for your replies and advice.

Since i played football tonight i didnt have much time so all i managed to do is get them out of my car and gave them a good scrub. They are currently sitting in bucket and tomorrow night i will give them another scrub then leave overnight again. I will see how much sediment comes off them then. But now that they are 'clean' and wet, they look loads better! After 3 days of soaking i will then do the vinegar test. I like the idea of soaking them in vinegar water than dropping vingar on them as you would see bubbles more obvious. So thats the avenue i think i will be taking next.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @tall: I didn't mean stacking the rocks, I mean just one rock in an area, since the OP's rocks are a good size and kind of round on the edges. If the rocks aren't very tall and there is enough gravel, you can clear out a small area under it if the rock is large enough. As for making sure the rocks are water safe, I can't agree more, the safer the better. Good luck OP

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Morning,

I have drained the bucket and given them a good scrubbing in the shower and i have to say that very few amount of particles came off them. They look alot better now they are clean and wet

The smallest of the 3. Lots of colour.

This one looks similar to the one i have in the tank already, only more smooth.

And the nice one

Tonight when i get home i wil see if i have any vinegar in the cupboard and perform the test. Can i just check, do i just use ordinary white viniger. Such as Heinz, etc? Also if i do the fizz test by soaking, what is the vinegar:water ratio? 50:50?

Also, in the OP i asked about desert sand, any advice on that?
    Last edited by CrazedMichael; 03-18-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    looks good. any vinegar works, you just need something acidic.

as for the sand idea. i guess you can try it. i bet its made from shattered pieces of those stones you found. so if those are safe then id think the sand is too. but thats just a guess. and youd want to boil the heck out of it just in case. finally something to watch out for with natural sand is silicone. specially in sand form it will in fact dissolve and cause a diatom issue.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!