· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Lights for freshwater planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    I am considering adding plants to my tank, but that means buying better lights. The lights I am looking at are t-5's. It come with 4 bulbs. The question i am asking is what ratio of what bulbs, from what i have read actinic lights don't really do much for plant growth. so here are the options:
    1. all white
    2. all actinic
    3. 3 white-1 actinic
    4. 2 white-2 actinic
    5. 1 white-3 actinic
    6. color temp for white bulbs(unsure of what they mean)
    7. 6500K
    8. 10000K

what would be the best option, is this to much lighting, any other recommendations(cheaper/better)
    here is the website: http://fishneedit.com/4ft4bulbs-with-l44.html

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    6500k is closest to sunlight and thus is best for the planted tank. Additionally... do not use 10k or actinic bulbs due to their large affect on algae.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and four bulbs wouldn't be overkill, i could also always turn off two of them.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    How big is the tank? I use two 6500k bulbs t5ho in a 55gal tank for medium light requirements. 4 bulbs should work fine though for high light plants. The trick is going to be limitting the photoperiod if algae becomes an issue.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The dimensions are 4 feet long X 12 inches wide X 18 inches tall

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ah ok 55gal. Yeah you should be fine with just 2 bulbs and if you find your plants are not doing well, make adjustments. It really also is going to depend on your substrate and your scape to make the best possible enviroment for plants. Also if you are really wanting to get high tech, Co2 is the next step.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a sand substrate will that be okay?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Sand in and of its self is inert, meaning it isnt like having Flourite or an actual substrate ment for plants. You will need fertilizers just like with normal house plants. Some come in liquid form like most of seachems products (like excel) and some can be as simple as jobes plant sticks that I got from the dollar store and have used with success.

Now please understand this is talking at the higher level of plants in the aquarium. Maybe give me a plan on the type of plants you are wanting to use and we can talk about a plan of action for you. Also theplantedtank.net is a great forum for just plants and they have some seriously in depth info.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only thing i know i want is some type of carpeting moss(or other short "furry" looking plant) to cover some of my rocks and caves but other than that i am open to suggestions. Any plants you really like or are just a good beginner plant.