· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Labiobarbus Leptocheilus Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I got this fish while working at Petsmart and since it was a fish that we don't sell, nor is it one I had ever seen before, I decided to take it home. It came in with the Chinese Algae Eaters, which leads me to believe that both this fish and the CAE's we sell are wild caught, despite what management tells me. I had a heck of a time identifying it but thanks to the people on this forum I believe I have the correct ID on it as Labiobarbus Leptocheilus. According to Baench Aquarium Atlas it should grow about 7 inches.

I'm creating this thread/journal for 3 reasons. First, to log any color/size changes as well as giving myself a quick reference to how fast it has grown. Second, for anyone who somehow comes across more of these fish, hopefully they won't have as much trouble as I did finding information about them. And third, if anyone has any that they don't want, I would love to have more.

This photograph is from October 2012:

This is a photograph I took a month later (only note is that the fins became somewhat red during this time):

And this is a photograph from Baench Aquarium Atlas Vol 3, listed as Labiobarbus Leptocheilus:

This is by far the most similar looking fish I have been able to find a picture of, even if it is not quite 100% the same. The difference being that my fish has slightly red fins and the fish from the book has a more defined stripe.

Fish size:

October 2012 - Roughly 1.5 inches
    March 2013 - Roughly 3.5 inches

Diet:

For the first month or so he would not eat flake food, and only seemed to nibble on algae wafers. He now is happy with either, but seems to prefer the flakes. After he got big enough to do so, he started picking up the gravel with his mouth, chewing on it, and spitting it back out. Typical carp behavior, and he is definitely closely related to goldfish/koi as he has that same dorsal fin, who both do the same.

Fish compatibility:

For the first few months I kept it in a 10 gallon tank with Glow-Light Tetras. At first it schooled with them, but as it got bigger it became slightly territorial and chased them around. I removed it from the tank at about 3 inches, and at that time the chasing of the Glow-Lights was nearly constant. There was never any fin nipping.

After I removed it from the 10 gallon I put it in my 90 gallon tank (Feb 2013) that has Black Skirt Tetras, Bloodfin Tetras, Pristella Tetras, Siamese Algae Eaters (not full grown, equal size to it), and BN Plecos (also not full grown, equal size to it). There has not been any fin nipping any either direction. I have noticed the Pristella's seem to be hiding more since I put him in, but at the same time there has been lots of plant growth and I believe they enjoy hiding themselves in the plants more and I don't believe they've been bullied at all.

I will try to update this thread every month or two. At the very least just to update with how he has grown. I am curious to see if he will reach the 7 inches listed in Baench Aquarium Atlas (assuming I have the ID correct). He has grow significantly but at the same time he doesn't seem to be growing quickly enough to reach that size within a year or even two.
    Last edited by Zander; 03-17-2013 at 01:50 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I will be following this journal closely! I still remember when we all were trying to identify the unknown fish.
    Another thing that I thought about, which might've explain why its patterning seems unlike any labiobarbus species is that it still may be in juvenile colors?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    I will be following this journal closely! I still remember when we all were trying to identify the unknown fish.
    Another thing that I thought about, which might've explain why its patterning seems unlike any labiobarbus species is that it still may be in juvenile colors?
    Some labiobarbus species are so rare that you can't find pictures of them online. Even the ones that you can, several of them have very conflicting pictures and descriptions. The whole family seems to be that way with the slight exceptions of Leptochelius and Festivus. Leptocheilus looks like the picture above and Festivus is much darker with red fins but otherwise very similar. Even still you can find very conflicting pictures in a google search on both, but they're the only two that I really have a firm grasp of what they are supposed to look like.

Labiobarbus Festivus, according to a different aquarium atlas (though I no longer recall which one):

The point is that there are another 7 species that I really have no idea what they look like. So this could very well be one of those 7.

I appreciate your interest and I will try to update this thread from time to time with new pictures and size updates.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Size: 4 inches

My fish continues to grow since I've moved him to the 90 gallon tank. The Baench Aquarium Atlas size of 7 inches is probably correct, since the SAE's are just as big and growing just as fast and are supposed to be max out at 6 inches.

The slight red tint to his fins has disappeared in recent months. The red was probably a juvenile coloring or it is possible it has gone due to the lower PH in the bigger tank. Can't be sure of which.

I'd like to post another picture but I don't have access to a camera at this exact moment. But I will say he is looking more like the above photo of Labiobarbus Leptocheilus every day. His stripe is becoming a little more defined and even seems to be gaining that very slight vertical stripe towards the front. I am more convinced than ever that that is the correct.

I will try to post a photograph in the near future.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I promised some new photos 'soon'. It's been a couple months, but better late than never I guess. This guy is a pain to photograph because he's in such a big tank and he doesn't hold still long. 95% of my photos were blurry.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    An interesting side note though, I saw on a website someone was selling some of these (for $30 each). They were also not sure on the ID but they did include Labiobarbus Leptocheilus as what it might be. Unfortunately they were sold out by the time I ever saw it. Here are the photos from their website (hopefully copyright isn't an issue):

Not sure if the red in that final photograph is a gender difference, age difference, or possibly just a reflection from the red rocks in the background.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what a great find. really cool fish. Hope it continues to do well.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. What I've noticed is that the tail spot of yours seems seems to be much more defined than the photos. Age related perhaps?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Interesting. What I've noticed is that the tail spot of yours seems seems to be much more defined than the photos. Age related perhaps?
    Possibly. Though I've had mine for roughly 10 months now and the color and definition of the spot have changed basically not at all.

My thought is it could be one from a slightly different region than the others. Most aquarium fish get interbred so significantly that every fish looks fairly uniform. Since these are all probably wild caught, one from a different stream may have a slightly different spot to it. Just a theory, I have no idea how realistic that is.

Another possibility is that it's another type of Labiobarbus. The most common is Leptocheilus, then the easiest to identify is Festivus (with the red and black fins, pictured in the OP). It's very, very difficult to find information on the other 7 types. Ocellatus should look fairly similar with a defined spot on the tail but should also have a humeral spot (like a pristella tetra's spot), which mine does not have.

Labiobarbus Ocellatus:

So 6 other types it might be. Hard to say which one it is for sure.
    Last edited by Zander; 08-01-2013 at 01:04 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!

Click here to see it in uncropped unresized massive detail

The first truly good picture I've been able to get of it. The act of chasing it around the tank to get a good picture caused his normally slightly red fins to wash clear. That aside, it's easily the best picture yet. This fish is clearly a female. It's gotten fat twice, and seems to be starting to get fat again. It also doesn't seem to be growing much in size anymore. It's only slightly bigger than it was a months ago.