· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default pros and cons of dirted tanks?

0 Not allowed!
    im thinking of hopefully saving a few bucks going with dirt and bds cap.... any one have pros and cons?

its for my shrimp only so i dont need to worry about fish digging the dirt.

but i do have a bit of plant add... so i think that might be an issue? i would like to be able to harvest some of the runners for sale once they all grow in...

im having a hard time deciding... what soil should i use. i am thinking of costs at this point too.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I used stratum for my first shrimp only tank with live plants and after a few months the pests I had in that tank made me rip it down and start again with more conventional substrate. Be careful.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    im reading both great and bad things about this.... some people are saying i need to mineralize the soil for months, others saying there are bad ammonia spikes and horrid water quality.... others say its the best for plants....

im starting to think i should just buy some good eco-complete off petco website (60 pounds and get free shipping) then return 2 of the bags.... but i think thats a bit wrong... lol
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    I looked into converting my 90 gallon into a dirted tank. But after reading up on it a little, I decided the plant substrate that I already had should be good enough.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only reason to go with a dirt substrate is if you want to support a lot of plants in your aquarium. Other then that it is not worth the hassle.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    its going to be planted with heavy root feeders, micro swords, crypts, sag, clovers.... ect not sure exactly what yet.... but yeah... will be planted good. and i want to be able to harvest plants for resale lol
    gotta love them bunnies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldnt no the long term effects of a dirt substrate but from what i have read they are really good or relaly bad. I just set mine up with a layer of subsoil a layer of top soil and peat moss and then a layer of gravel.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it is within your budget I highly recommend some eco complete

http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-3735-F...s=eco+complete

It comes in a couple colors, I'm going to order a couple bags for a set up soon. I've already done the research, it doesn't alter your ph and the best part is you don't have to have to pre wash it unlike seachem's fluorite. ADA amazonia is one of the substrates that lowers ph and has ammonia spikes.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is also floramax substrate as an option. My petsmart has had them at 7-8 dollars for a 12 pound bag of black. One bag was enough for a 10 gallon tank.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    i just ordered eco complete for 19$/20 lbs. and im going to be mixing it with sand to make it deeper. nearly 30/70 mix (70% eco). i think im going to end up returning 2 bags to petco because i just wanted the free shipping. if they dont give me a full refund ill just craiglist it for 20$ and be happy lol.

the floramax at my petsmart was 22$ for 12 pounds.... its stupid !!!! online it said 9$.... i even had a price check to make sure. i cant stand paying more than 1/pound for any gravel lol... but i figure for 28$ i can completely do my shrimp tank and finish off my 3" mark on my 55g. bth BDS is an awesome deal lol
    gotta love them bunnies!