· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to – and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmypets View Post
    I would but I already started the lifeguard last night at 8 pm. I've had atleast 2 water changes (15 gallons each and a vacuum) since adding the salt. Do you still think I should do the large wc and if so, how large?
    A large water change in a 50gal is not 15gal. I large would be about 25+ gal in one fell swoop.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest a 30 to 40 gallon water change right now, and another 30 to 40 gallon water change later this afternoon, and maybe even a third one this evening.

Then start the med treatment all over again

Too much much salt and meds in the water right now, you need to start all over
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Agreed with Cliff... too much happening at once. Overdosing probably led to stress and fish death. Sorry for your fish. =/

Something to note: If your fish are stressed, it can lead to sickness/disease. Sometimes, other sicknesses/diseases can lead to secondary infections or breakouts. Many times, these diseases will lay dormant until a fish is stressed. It's not altogether rare for this to happen, but you should understand that stress (which can occur from overstocking or stocking incorrectly) can lead to these breakouts. Many of the fish you have in your tank are extremely territorial: Bettas, Dwarf Gouramis and cichlids (depending on the cichlid). Just something to think about.
    Thank you. And I feel awful, I just want to make everything better for my fishies as I do love them! I do believe that I panicked and did too much too soon. I know my mollly was becoming a huge stressor which is why I removed him. Also, I do understand and can appreciate your due diligence in regards to my stock. I know I have fish that aren't normally recommended to be together. I know a handful of people that have several territorial fish that are doing well as they were all introduced to each other within a few weeks of one another and have grown up together. I keep a very close eye on them (I was hit by a truck and can't work because of my injuries so I spend a lot of time with my fish). I have just began journaling as well. As soon as the sickness is cleared up I will continue to watch them extremely closely and journal and if there is any sign of a problem I shall remove the fish and place them in my hospital tank until I can find an appropriate home - that's a promise :) I want a nice happy tank. I even got moon lights so I can watch them at night. I also record their behaviors when I'm not around and so far so good. Thank you immensely for your input.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    A large water change in a 50gal is not 15gal. I large would be about 25+ gal in one fell swoop.
    Yes, I know that, I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. When I do a large change, it's 50%

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I would suggest a 30 to 40 gallon water change right now, and another 30 to 40 gallon water change later this afternoon, and maybe even a third one this evening.

Then start the med treatment all over again

Too much much salt and meds in the water right now, you need to start all over
    Ok, this sounds like a solid plan and I believe you are correct. I will do three 40 gallon water changes today - throughout the day- and start treatment over. Thank you. Anyone else have further suggestions.......i really appreciate all of the help :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   for providing sage tips to – and keeping up with -- so many - RiversGirl   Have a Angelfish for the advice on Dan's Journal, I can't rep you anymore yet :) - steeler58   You really need some discus :o) - fishmommie   A quick ninja penguin for you. - mommy1   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! I'm sorry you got hit by a truck. Yeesh... I think Cliff is setting you on the right track with those water changes. You really want to start over from scratch - one method at a time. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! I'm sorry you got hit by a truck. Yeesh... I think Cliff is setting you on the right track with those water changes. You really want to start over from scratch - one method at a time. =]
    Thank you, it's been a nightmare ever since I was hit. It's going on a year now and surgery is in my near future. It's also one of the primary reasons I began the aquarium........so calming. My chihuaha feeds and watches the fish with me :)

I just did a 40 gallon water change and turned on the moonlights. I will do atleast one more 40 gallon change - possibly 3 dependant upon time...I want to have a decent ammount of time between each large change as my fish certainly don't need anymore stress!
    Thanks again everyone. I will keep you all posted!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They didn't have rainbowfish, but have a guppy! - Lolita   Thanks for the help. Have a tetra! :) - tate8   Betta are awesome! - Tiari   Thank you :) - MCHRKiller   Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like you are on the right track now...just starting over is sometimes the best idea. Also, you aren't the first one of us to go too fast and add too many meds at once. I've done it, and I'm sure others have too. This is how you learn sometimes. And always remember that fresh, clean water is really good medicine in itself - even if you add meds, the water needs to be clean and properly aerated and dechlorinated.

Also, just a tiny word on the housing of aggressive fish: they can seem fine together, even for a long time, and then suddenly they will SNAP and you'll have dead fish. When you've recovered from this ordeal, it may be good to reevaluate some of your stocking. You have to consider what these fish do as a general rule in addition to the behavior you see in the moment. It's difficult to do; you want to believe that your fish act a certain way, and then all of a sudden they don't. Peace is a fragile thing when you have multiple territorial fish in your tank.

Good luck...you will be just fine. Cliff knows his stuff - listen to him, and you'll be golden!
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - steeler1   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We can only try...lol - Slaphppy7   For helping me remember, and for all you do! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
    Also, just a tiny word on the housing of aggressive fish: they can seem fine together, even for a long time, and then suddenly they will SNAP and you'll have dead fish. When you've recovered from this ordeal, it may be good to reevaluate some of your stocking. You have to consider what these fish do as a general rule in addition to the behavior you see in the moment. It's difficult to do; you want to believe that your fish act a certain way, and then all of a sudden they don't. Peace is a fragile thing when you have multiple territorial fish in your tank.
    Cliff and Kevin have you on the right track! You have to worry about getting out of the woods with what you are dealing with right now, but I would definitely look at your stocking when you're done getting everyone well.

I know you've already heard about your stocking and acknowledged that it is unconventional, but I just want to second what bethy said.
    Small tanks with aggressive fish that don't mix are like a ticking time bomb. You may have seen friends or others who are keeping a similar stock, but they will all probably run into an aggression related disaster sooner or later. When it comes down to it, they are animals, and at some point in their life they will respond their natural instincts and act like animals. We all know how brutal nature is from watching the Discovery channel and it's absolutely devastating to have it happen in your living room.

I know you are keeping a close eye on them, but I have heard stories of other aquarists going to bed at night and waking up to a tank full of dead, mutilated fish with one or two lone victors wandering the carnage.

If you decide to address that issue after you are finished treating your fish I would recommend starting a new thread with pictures of your unnamed cichlids and an exact count of all your stocking. We have a lot of awesome members here who can advise you about who will get along with who in the long term and how to keep everything as peaceful as possible.
    ~Manna
    120 gallon FW bowfront in progress