· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Power Outage

1. Default Power Outage

0 Not allowed!
    Just had a power outage in my neighborhood. A transformer went, so it could be a while. Will this cause any harm to my fish or bacteria to not have the filter running?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I believe many people here recommend keeping a battery operated air-pump on hand for short power outages to at least keep the water oxygenated. The filter will be fine as long as it remains wet, but ammonia may build up while the filter is down. Adding Prime would help to alleviate that. Again, these tips are for short-term outages (idk, maybe <24 hours?), so anything longer than that may have more significant effects on the tank.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if its warm then 1/3 of your battle is done. if you dont have an air pump, every hour or so take a cup and fill it with tank water and empty it back into the tank making splashes.
    about the filter media, you could do more harm than good with the filter media. if its very dirty you can be adding ammonia back into the water.

ive always wondered if draining tank water from the tank onto the filter media (in a bucket) would help keep the bb alive and deal with some ammonia..... using something small like an air line tubing....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    ive always wondered if draining tank water from the tank onto the filter media (in a bucket) would help keep the bb alive and deal with some ammonia..... using something small like an air line tubing....
    It will keep the bb alive and as the filter media is suppose to do it will deal with ammonia - nitrites. Then you can add fresh water to tank; small water changes during this period of power outage will help keep things from getting out of hand.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your replies. Thankfully the power was only out for about 2 hours. I'll definitely be picking up a battery air pump for such situations in the future.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not to discourage you from purchasing a battery operated air pump, but most power outages that occur where I live happens during the day while I'm at work. Would you be available to start it up?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They Make special styles of the batter operated back up pumps that turn on when power goes out.
    Very handy for when you are not there. they remained plugged in, and off, when you lose power, the recognize that and turn on.
    they run like 20ish bucks online.

0 Not allowed!
    I often have this concern. I live in Christchurch, New Zealand which had a serious of big earthquakes a few years ago which left the city in absolute ruin. To this day it still looks like a war zone in the inner part of the city. I was lucky because I was living out in the country with my parents when it happened, but now I live in the middle of town. Although the aftershocks have subsided (we used to get them every day for a few months, and they have gradually slowed down since then), there is always a small chance that the fault will go off again. If my tanks managed to survive the quakes (most people's fell over and smashed in the big ones), there is still the hurdle of no power for up to a week to contend with. I try not to think of it and get on with my life but there is always the possibility it could happen.