· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My male betta is acting strangely.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a very beautiful red veiltail betta male, but last night I noticed he wasn't being as active as usual, then today I found that he had crawled up and had his head out of the water for a while until I moved him with the net. He splashed and swam to the bottom of the tank and has been "sleeping" ever since. The only thing that keeps me from disturbing him again is that his gills are still moving normally. He has been very "lazy?" today.

I read somewhere that this behavior could be a sign of something, but today the weather was pretty warm outside so his heater didn't turn on at all. I wonder if the water is too warm? It says that it's only between 76 and 80 degrees and it has never bothered him before.

Should I be concerned? Does anyone know what is going on with him? He hardly ate last night too. That caught my attention. He also doesn't display at me when I put my hand near his tank like he used to.
    Observer of: Shy Zoro the ghost shrimp, 13 neon tetras whom we cannot tell apart, one Gold Mystery Snail named Blaze (cuz he'd win any race), a delta tail blue betta male (Train), female betta (named Missy), a bristle nose Pleco (Play), as well as 3 cats, and a school of dogs.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    is he bloated? might be a sign of intestinal issues
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Not bloated, be looks like he's gotten thinner maybe, just a tiny bit. But he doesn't fluff out his fins anymore either so its hard to tell how much thinner he's gotten.
    Observer of: Shy Zoro the ghost shrimp, 13 neon tetras whom we cannot tell apart, one Gold Mystery Snail named Blaze (cuz he'd win any race), a delta tail blue betta male (Train), female betta (named Missy), a bristle nose Pleco (Play), as well as 3 cats, and a school of dogs.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    water parameters? ammonia nitrites nitrates ph kh/gh ? tank size filter?
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    nitrate is 40 (safe according to test)
    nitrite is 1.0 (says to cause some stress)
    hardness is very hard
    chlorine is 0
    alkalinity is 120 (also considered safe)
    pH is 7.9

Can i just use the water conditioner to fix it, or a major water change?

filter is for a 5 gal or less, tank is 3 gal.

Also, he has started moving around more since i posted the first time tonight, I'd still appreciate tips to fix the water.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    because of your nitrites im sure you have lost your cycle. you will need to do a major water change to reduce those nitrites to as low as possible and start doing daily water changes of at least 1 gallon each day, 2 better untill they stop showing up. im also guessing that since theres nitrites theres some ammonia. do the water change asap and keep an eye on those nitrites. those are quite toxic to fish, especially at those temps and hardness.

give your betta some good water quality and some time, and he should survive. i will keep my fingers crossed for you. also make sure you use dechlorinator and not just age your water. aging is not a reliable way to dechlorinate your water....
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Okay! Thank you very much!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it is truly water quality issues, your betta will tell you when things are getting better. He will perk up, even in small ways at first. Of course, you still need to test every day and change water every day until you're cycled again, but he will tell you if what you are doing is sufficient.

Yes, please get some good dechlorinator for your water...Prime by Seachem is good. Also, make sure the water you add is the same temp as the water in the tank. Also, don't feed much if it's clear that he isn't going to eat it, as it will start to rot on the bottom of the tank and cause more ammonia. Clean, dechlorinated water really is the best thing you can give your fish.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    any change today? hows the nitrites?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    View a 3 gallon tank, like a large fish bowl. Though filtered, and cycled, nitrates will build up VERY quickly in so low a volume of water. I have a six gallon myself for my Betta Tiberius, and his tank requires more frequent water changes than the ten or twenty gallons. Food residue, waste from the fish, and minerals in the water deplete quickly.

Make a habit to change at least half the water immediately, and then the following day, do the same. Continue this until the nitrates are at 10ppm or lower. Once the cycle is restored, you should probably change water in that tank, around half, every three days to keep it clean and a happy home for your little buddy.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.