· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Right now I'm using a combination of three different ferts based on my obersations, reseach and typical water parameters before adding the plants: trace elements (mostly for the iron), a potasium, and a nitrate. All of them are pre-mixed liquid ferts made both Brightwell Aquatic and Seachem

At least this is my starting point. I will mostly likely need to adjust as time goes on.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some people believe that hair algae is usually caused by excess iron. Whether or not iron is the culprit, it's definitely caused by some imbalance of lights, CO2, and nutrients. Do you happen to have Seachem Excel lying around? A double dose should take care of the problem and give you time to get everything balanced out.

0 Not allowed!
    I'll look into iron as a part of the cause, I never read that before. Thanks for the tip

I was thinking about trying excel as I had pretty good results in the past, but I had read a few reports that using excel can also cause Anacharis ( proper name Egeria densa I think) melt or die off. I have held off untill I can figure out if those reports are valid or just a excuse used by others for not being able to keep their plants alive.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I was thinking about trying excel as I had pretty good results in the past, but I had read a few reports that using excel can also cause Anacharis ( proper name Egeria densa I think) melt or die off. I have held off untill I can figure out if those reports are valid or just a excuse used by others for not being able to keep their plants alive.
    It does melt certain plants when overdosed (which is what you would need to do to get rid of the algae) so it might be a good idea not to dose it. Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the specific plants in your tank.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, I'm still figuring out the specifics of my plants as well. I'm still working on confirming all the plant IDs. The Anacharis and java moss are about the only two that I am positive on right now. But I can't really complain as I really got this plants given to me. I still need to google some more plant pics so I'm sure on the rest of them

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Post some close-ups and I'll see what I can do. The broad-leafed plant looks like melon sword. The red one looks like myriophyllum tuberculatum. The yellowish one may be nesaea pedicellata.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Funkman, I will try to get some pics up tomorrow

0 Not allowed!
    I really need need to up-date my journals more often. I'll try to get a FTS soon, but here's few congo pics I took a while back

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, Cliff. i wish I could get photos that good. My congos are that size now too. i love them. Where yours are burnt orange to almost red, mine are lighter orange to apricot color and they have blue behind the orange.
    What do you feed them? Maybe I could get more color out of mine with a different food. I'm about to order so this is great timing.
    Mine are all males. Do you think that females in the mix might also heighten their colors?
    Don't get me wrong. I love mine and they're gorgeous but yours definitely have more color.
    Mine are under led lights - are yours?
    Bet you never expected so many questions. sorry.
    Again, nice pics.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice Congo's Cliff. I don't know how soon Cliff will respond, FM but it could be the lighting that makes a difference. Mine used to come off as more green.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep