· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Curious to see what this will turn out to be. Admire your courage to go the high tech route. Even with high tech it will still take some weeks to get a real picture of what it will be like.

. At first glance it does seem a rather busy tank but if this has worked for so many years it's obviously not too busy.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool. Beautiful fish!!

0 Not allowed!
    Ugh……. I got algae

I got a little bit of hair algae starting. I have been starting out really slow with the CO2, but I guess I started off way too slow and this is a warning sign of things to come if I don’t tweak the balance better. If I don’t do that now, I could have a big problem on my hands very before too long. I’m going increase the amount from 1 bubble per 2 seconds to one bubble each second. The drop checker has always been a strong blue color so I have some room to increase the CO2 a little.

I may also have to increase the ferts that I have been adding as well. I started off with ¼ doses, and increased that to ½ doses after about 2 weeks. I think I will try ¾ doses after adjusting the CO2

Right now I have two T5HO bulbs on for 9 hours, and for the last three hours of that time period I have 4 bulbs of T5HO on (all bulbs 6700K). I might try turning on the second set of T5 bulbs a hour earlier as well

So far the plants seam to be doing OK. I am getting some pretty good growth from all of them

Once I have had a chance to trim some of the growth, I will post some pics
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if you are looking for just visible light on the tank for most of the day and then blast it with plant growing light, you could always look into warmer white bulbs for the majority of the time and then give them the 6700k for 4-5hrs. the lower spectrum still has a spectrum the plants can use a little bit, but less on the spectrum the algae can, if you can get something in the range of 4500K-5000k i think you would be happy.

also from what i have read, you can increase the co2 in the water untill the drop checker changes to grean. not sure on that one but im assuming its using the same 4dkh fluid and the same indicator. also did you follow the directions with the drop checker? ive hear of some instructions saying to mix the indicator with some tank water.... did yours tell you to do it?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I followed the directions on the drop checker to the letter (on both of them actually as I have two drop checkers right now). They came with premixed testing solutions as well as a referance solution that showes you the green color you are aiming for. You just add the solutions to the drop checkerr and put it in the tank. After about 2 hours you get a reading. I am a little scared of adding too much CO2 as this is my first time using it and I do not want anything to go wrong and effect my fish. I orginally turned the CO2 up a lot higher when first on the tank until the drop checker test solution turned the same green as the test solution before cutting back the dose and lower the CO2 levels. As the pH remained stable (or at least within a variance of 0.2) when it was at the higher level, I am assuming both drop checkers are accurate.

I will look into the 4500 to 5000K lighting suggestion. Thanks for that suggestion
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    just trying to help, ive hear horror stories of people adding tank water to the testing solution lol.

if you have a long weekend coming up that your can watch your fish, that would be the best time to increase the co2. im sure you can spot the fish struggling, but again i think going up to the 30ppm is safe for the fish and ideal for the plants (when the drop checker turns green)
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I keep my drop checker yellow. When it was green, my plants showed signs of CO2 deficiency. I'm at 3 bubbles-per-second with possibly 100% dissolution of the CO2 in tank water.

I would advice against increasing your nutrient dosage for now. If the plants are unable to consume the nutrients quick enough due to lacking CO2, then adding more nutrients will just be more fuel for algae growth. You also don't want to change multiple things at once so increase the CO2, monitor the tank for a week or so, then determine if additional ferts are needed.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys.

Genocidex, looks like we think alike. I did plan to increase the CO2 today as I will home almost all day and can make sure I don't over dose

Funkman, that sounds like a good idea, I'll hold off on changing the fert dose until I can see what impact changing the CO2 will have first.

0 Not allowed!
    With some help form my lovely wife, I was able to trim off most of the plants which started to get hair algae. I’m guessing my phosphates were high as my nitrates were only around 5ppm. My Phosphate test kit was expired which is why I do not believe the 0ppm reading I got from it. I buy a new test kit tomorrow after work and test again later.

I adjusted the CO2 to about 3 bubbles per 2 seconds and I am now getting a good reading on the drop checker. pH remains stable and the fish are acting and looking as they normally do. And here are a few pics

I had to use my cell phone so the quality is not the best. The water is still a little yellow from tannins due to driftwood I added a short while ago

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank's looking great. What kind of ferts do you dose?