· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 55g Birthday Project

0 Not allowed!
    So my better half's aunt had 2x55g tanks sitting outside (ended up being out there for a WHILE apparently). She offered me one of them since she is thinking about setting up a terrarium at her store and the other would just sit there longer. She knows my birthday is coming up on wednesday and knows about my "addiction" . Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity. However, she may have understated how long they were out there.

^594DD5F707A8AEED119870EC24434B31DCE2A24CA7ABDA454D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^D72A74343A781F26A069F5A017AE45D5C13F37058806245377^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^F83B68C9D8143AD116D88FCF34CD33C7F27DB430E458E6FA2D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

These pictures are after a little bit of a wipe-down and filling it to see how it reacts to stresses. Doesn't hold water, and the trim is completely covered in mold inside next to the glass. Some people might not look at this as such an awesome gift, but I am a little bit of a DIY guy, so I love it. So far it has been scrubbed down a bit more thoroughly with bleach and I will be cutting off the old silicone and trim. Talked to a local glass company about getting some glass cut for euro bracing and it looks like it would only run ~$55 so thats an option. I am also contemplating going with a single crossbeam siliconed in place just because 55g are such narrow tanks and I feel like it really restricts space to reach in there. Thoughts on that would be appreciated while I get started on cutting this all to pieces!

Awards Showcase

Have another Cory! - steeler58 Have another Cory! - steeler58 I like shoals. :) - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx 
    Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    I don't know where you are located, but it seems that if you are going to have to spend $55 for bracing, plus all of the extra work for cleaning, siliconing, and derimming, wouldn't it be easier to spend the $55 on a new 55g tank at the PetCo $1 per gallon sale?

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I don't know where you are located, but it seems that if you are going to have to spend $55 for bracing, plus all of the extra work for cleaning, siliconing, and derimming, wouldn't it be easier to spend the $55 on a new 55g tank at the PetCo $1 per gallon sale?
    I think it would definitely be easier, and potentially cheaper. But its a project, and I do love a project. Also, with the single crossbeam route, it would be considerably cheaper than the above listed $55 euro bracing. If I go that route, the entire cost of the rebuild should be less than the cost of a new tank with the special going on. Plus it gives me something to do, and I really feel like it makes things more personally valuable when you do them yourself :D

HOWEVER, moving forward, if it looks like costs are mounting up too much, I may just take your recommendation, SueD, as it is definitely NOT the worst idea in the world.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.T.!....cheers! - Slaphppy7 For a fellow tetra lover ;-) - steeler58 For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 
    Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 New gifts show still show up : ) - mommy1 Thanks for the help! Cheers! - BluewaterBoof 

2 Not allowed!
    Was going to suggest the same, $55 for the 55 new without repair and mold (which is very hard to remove 100%) is great.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, threadfin, pleco, shrimp, and nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails
    5g. planted w/DW, and female betta
    5g. pending tear down
    10g. CYCLED!!! Orange shrimp, and Chili rasboras
    20L CYCLED!!! Blue Pearl Shrimp, Epsei and CPD

My 75g:
    My 10/20Lshrimp tank: