· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Jenn's Fish Room-back in the game :)

2 Not allowed!
    As some know my hobby has taken a serious backseat to life. The SO and I moved to a new town, seriously downsized our living space and lives for the sake of sanity. Sanity however didn't happen as planned; in the 2 years since our move we have each gone through a surgery, each had a job change, SO a brief stent of being unemployed, and to top that our dog has badly suffered separation anxiety. I was on the verge of diving back into the hobby last fall when I tore my Achilles tendon, I had surgery to repair this however managed to re-injure it again which left me lain up for a few more months. I also was given my 2nd opportunity of a lifetime job offers a month ago which I could not refuse. Good-bye to the public school system and being a Guidance Counselor...now I am working as a full time private practice LPC. Mental health is much more entertaining than the monotony of the school system. Now that my existence is much more fulfilled and I have a bit more time on my hands I have made some actual progress in moving forward to working on the fish room.

Plans for the future:

75G-Astronotus crassipinnis, L200s, Buenos Aires
    75G- Paratheraps synspilum, L14
    40G breeder- anemone and maroon clown
    55G- Heros notatus, Flagtail Cats, BN Plecos, Lemon Tetras

Current:
    56G Column-LT Planted 2xcalico fantail golds, 2xBN plecos
    50G HT planted- Serpae, Tiger Barbs, Hovering Loaches, GBRs, Glowlight Tetras, Platies, Danios
    55G-divided grow out for the Astronotus crassipinnis and Heros notatus
    20G-LT planted 1 black "devil" OHM betta, julii corydoras

Other:
    I am also planning on a Bearded Dragon in the near future; I have wanted one for ages. I plan to acquire a Citrus from a reputable breeder. Probably a sub-adult as I do not want to feed live daily. I plan to use a 36x18 cage...either ABS or some sort of acrylic. I would however *love* a Vision cage. lol

I have just ordered 2x75G Titan Eze stands...reason for the function over form stands is that I *could* increase my tank load in the future if I wanted. I have used these stands in the past and they are capable of supporting a 2nd tank of the same size safety. These should be in within the next week

And since my old and deleted thread contained few photos(thanks Cliff for deleting it!). Here is a bad Iphone photo of the dog to keep ya entertained.

20G Low-Tech|50G High-Tech Planted|50G A.crassipinnis Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted Goldfish Tank

2x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Great looking dog

What type of anemone were you thinking for your 40B ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Most likely a bubble tip. Still debating on MH lighting or LED. Also still debating on a Tunze Wavebox or a Vortech MP. lol
    20G Low-Tech|50G High-Tech Planted|50G A.crassipinnis Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted Goldfish Tank

2x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I've never used a MP (too much sticker shock at the price), but the Tunze nano wave box would be excellent for a 40B. The new controllers for them also allow you to add a second controllable powerhead to it and pulse this second power on a apposite cycle to the wave box. That way, you can get a great wave effect through the tank at a much lower power setting. I really liked the one I had on my 90 and latter 120.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I know the sticker price of each is pretty bad. I have also been toying with the idea of setting up some sort of under-substrate piping system much like folks use for "river tanks" only with more inlets and more pumps to create circulation. I have however never seen this done in a marine system so I am not totally sure how it would work. This was a plan I was sort of toying with...the black ovals would be intakes, the red squares are pumps the lines are the paths of circulation. However I could also use a hydor flo deflector on each pump to get that "wave" effect.

2x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I like that idea. You could get a lot of good flow. Might need to add another depending on the rock work, but that is minor detail

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad things have stabilized at your place, Jenn. Congrats on the dream job. Can't wait to see your tanks when you geet them set up.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, apple & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted:crown tail betta, neons, pygmy cory, clown pleco,apple & nerite snails
    90 g FW planted:congos, rainbows, roseline sharks, swordtails, ottos,krib pair, ABNP, peppered cories, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    welcome back! good to hear things are going well for you again. I noticed you don't have the geos anymore (altifrons I think?)? that was a very serene and stunning setup you used to have them in. best of luck with your future fish room and as always we love seeing your pics!
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123 Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer Happy New Year!! - SeaLady For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7 Thanks 4 help - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Did someone say river tank?? Hello and welcome back! I am currently making a river tank with a monifold filter system in a 40B. I know there is a big difference between a salt water tank and a river tank as far as necessary flow. I am currently running two AC 70s (or maybe 50s) along the length of the tank and I feel like it might be too much. Quite a bit of bounce back. The intakes don't pull in quite enough. This might be absolutely no problem for you. Just something to think about since you have your powerheads pointing the width of the tank as apposed to the length as I do. So what I'm seeing will be more amplified for you.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    I still technically have the old 150G with the Geos, Orbicularis, Royal and Rotkeils...only now it is at my mom's business. Fish are still doing well; she has now taken over the tank as I live over an hour from the tank. My new house is literally 1/3 the size of my old one; so the space for 6ft tanks these days is questionable. I *could* probably get a 6fter in the tank room but since it is also my home office there wouldn't be much room left for anything else. Im also going through a collectoritis phase and instead of a single large community Im more interested in rearing show specimens.

I am planning to use some Maxi-Jet 1200s, I know they fit the Hydor deflectors. I also plan to fit the rockwork all around the intakes/pumps to avoid dead spots and leave the front pretty much open. In addition to the 3x295GPH MaxiJets I will also be running a HOB loaded with chemical media and a protein skimmer. The rock I plan to use is Tampa Bay so it has a ton of macro algae and such already on it, I honestly wouldn't mind cultivating macro algae in the display area of the tank. Im over my reef phase these days and just want a marine tank. I aim to have somewhere between 1350-1500GPH on a 40B. Since you have experience building a "river" setup how difficult was it to source parts? Also was it difficult to build the PVC pipe work?

2x75Gs coming soon