· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Foam on water surface

0 Not allowed!
    Hello AC, my aquarium water is developing lots of foam on the surface. I recorded it with my phone and uploaded it. It's the best i can do at the moment. This post is in the video description. See below.
    Tank size: 48x18x17
    Inhabitants: 1 Tiger Oscar
    White foam forming on the surface of my tank water and also the surface water in the filter. Filters are DIY with container one containing 20 ppi open cell foam as well as 40 ppi on top. Container 2 consist of cut green scouring pads, plastic scourers, 40 ppi foam and also now i added Activated carbon in case the white foam was caused by a chemical.
    The white foam on the water surface occurred only after using the venturi on my powerhead. It is producing alot of fine bubbles which i know can cause foam, but the foam in my tank is consistently building. It takes around ten minutes for the foam to dissipate after i turn the venturi off. The section of the tank where most the bubbles are rising to the surface, so much foam is building that it is overflowing the tank. I have lowered the water level in the tank for this reason.
    What else i have done recently to the tank is expand the filter. The only filter on the tank was the chamber seen with the scouring pads and also an additional same size container with ceramic rings. The new chamber with the 20 ppi and 40 ppi foams has replaced the ceramic rings. Air is also being pumped into the foam chamber which is causing white foam to build there as well.
    Thanks for any help

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i bet if you add something to break up the surface (like a hob or spray bar) you'll get rid of the foam.

your filter is pushing so many bubbles that it'll just collect at the top until something breaks it up.

if you wanna do a quick test, so stir with with your hands and see if it dissipates.

side note, 63gallons for an oscar is pushing it on the small side.

0 Not allowed!
    Only two things come to mind, either the srubber pads that you added contained some type of soap, or (most likely) your return pump or filter is sucking in some air creating the bubbles
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the scrubber pads were there first when i set up the tank (6 months ago) so it's not that, what i added was the Open cell foams, i bought them as "pond filter foam" from the LFS, there is lots off air intentionally being pumped into the filter foam chamber. I just never expected this much white foam. This oscar is around 6 months old, 10-11 inches long. The bubbles is creating the foam yes, if i turn the venturi off there is no white foam also yes swirling it with my hands breaks it up. The pipeline out from the filter has to lead a couple inches into the water to create a siphon or else my filter will overflow (back into the tank). The 1 inch pipe cannot handle the flow as an "overflow". I will add a spray bar to a small fountain pump to see if it works, thanks. Cliff you are right about the air being sucked into the pump as this pump has two air suction lines, one below the impeller chamber and one on the water out lol.The air line i have hooked up to the suction is creating all the micro bubbles, "which i like". What i am wondering is if this foam typically indicates a problem? It has absolutely no smell.