· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default wet/dry pump question

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone. Quick question. I'm setting up a new 75Gal FW tank. I have a wet/dry setup on the tank.
    I've noticed the pump will occasionally start the tornado in water effect, sucking in air, and shooting it up the return line.
    I have a good bit of water in that part of the filter. Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    How much water is above the pump, and is the intake of the pump facing upwards?
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like maybe you don't have the flow adjusted correctly. Do you have a bypass line set up on the return line? You might be pumping back into he tank faster than you are returning to the sump.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    Pumps with high flow rates will typically a sump compartment with a water level that is much higher than the top of the pump. It almost sounds like there is not enough water in the return pump compartment

Have you been topping up the water level in the sump for evaporation ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would agree with Cliff, it sounds like the water level is to close to intake on pump. Could you take some pictures of the compartment in question with current water level? Also could you give us some more information on the pump?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fixed the issue. I have an extra flat stone I'm not using. Just laid the stone over the pump, so it cancels out the tornado effect.
    I really can't add much more water, or will will be above my egg crate on the bio side.