· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! I'd never seen Congo tetras as the LFS doesn't carry them, but I'm really liking those little guys :D As for tank dimentions, it will probably be 4' wide X 6' long X 3' deep. We are putting it right into the house plan, but won't be building for quite some time as we have to sell our current house first!

Thanks for all of y'all's advice, and keep it coming! This is all very helpful. I think the tank is some kind of a drain line type system, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm also really liking the skylights, and will be checking into those if at all possible with this kind of tank.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Well since you have time, possibly try to change the depth down to 25" and increase the length and or width to compensate. 25" deep is easy enough to do plants. If you can at least.

Most tetras will be good, dianos, raibows, things like that would be ideal. If you want some personality to the tank then some. SOME american cichlids would be great. I think angels would be good, some dwarf rams would be fine, stay away from big ones like oscar, jd, convits... They are all too aggressive for smaller community setting.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I'm thinking of maybe doing bosemani rainbows,possibly Aqua rainbows ( I think is what they're called) congo and/or neon tetras, some kind of loach perhaps, I rather like the clown ones, but I'm not sure about how they'd fit in this mess, and an albino placo as the lfs regularly gets them in. no idea if this would even work but in my mind it'd look nice. Opinions?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just throwing this out there - don't forget about feeding arrangements. You might want to make sure all of your fish can be provided for when feeding time comes around.
    It sounds like a very intriguing project, though. Best of luck!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    the clown loachs would be fine in that tank but they do get big... and need a school. im not sure about the neons because they are relitivly small but they might be fine. doing 2 schools of rainbows would be a great idea in the tank, i like the idea of bosemani and Praecox Rainbow. if you keep those school in the high numbers around 20 or so each... (2 schools rainbows, congo, neon, clown loach(9), dojo (threw those in just incase), and albino BN pleco(6)) you would be nearing the cap for the tank.... nearing.... if i was keeping it i would stop there for easier cleanings.

BTW the clown loaches will be the kings of the tank, topping out around 12"+ in length. just an idea. i dont think they become vicious with age but i could be wrong. might want to youtube adult clown loaches to see if you still like them.

also im still for adding something with personality to your tank. an angel or 2 would be great. just something thats a bit smarter than the other fish and will learn when you are feeding and will great you. or some gourami would be ok too.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some Angels would be pretty, but I've heard they're rather aggressive? Is that just a myth or are they just super aggressive like I've heard? Also, is there any particular type of angel that you'd recommend? I was also of the impression that the pleco could get bigger than 12", or is that not the BNs?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    common plecos top out well over a foot long and arent usefull for algae after a few inches. but BN plecos (which is what i was assuming you meant by albino) top out around 4" long and are great at finding algae in the tank (big plus in a big tank). angels CAN be aggressive if stocked wrong. in a tank your size and with the right decor placement they can make wonderful additions to a peaceful community. you need to keep them away from nippers is the biggest problem. keeping a pair can get dicey when they spawn but in a tank that big i dont think it will be an issue at all.

oops, the type? i think all angels are at least semi the same (temperment wise.) so anything should work. since theres so much color in the tank i would look for some darker "natural" looking fish. they make great complements to each other. i have a spotted bush fish paired with a blue gouarmi in my 55g. they compliment each others colors VERY well.
    Last edited by genocidex; 03-17-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    gotta love them bunnies!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "Super aggressive" isn't exactly as I would describe angels. However, they will try to eat some of the smaller fish (especially small tetra varieties - and they're usually successful in their endeavors) or become aggressive for territorial reasons. If the tank isn't large enough (i.e., 4 angels in a 20 gallon tank), if they're spawning, or if newcomers invade their territory, they will often become nippy. However, if they have their needs met, they are a great addition to the tank and have a lot of personality. If you do decide to get angels for your tank, avoid barbs and any likewise aggressive fish. Also, I'd add them a little while after the tank is set up with all of the other fish, so that they don't feel as if anyone's entering their established territory.
    I don't have any experience with such large tanks, so they may be fine with neons or other small tetras because of all the extra room; however, don't be surprised if they don't get along so great. Each angel's personality differs, so it depends on the fish.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    hmm ive never heard of angels hunting down neons. but i have heard they are good for fry control. they will eat tiny fish sure, but so wouldnt any fish. the rule is "if it fits its food" neons get big enough to avoid the cycle.

also they will set up a territory, just make sure there are plenty of boundry lines so they cant claim a whole tank lol. but in a tank that big that shouldnt be an issue at all
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    In a tank that size I would go with a Rainbow tank -- a mixture of say 6 Boesmanni's, 6 Red Rainbows and 6 Turquoise Rainbows. You could also throw a big school of Cardinals (like 20-30) in with them, they wouldn't mind.

A couple of Bristlenosed Ancistrus and some brochis cories would be nice too.