· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question So...What are my options?

0 Not allowed!
    My family and I are just now in the planning stage of building a new house. It's exciting and all but. My mother in her infinite wisdom has decided she wants an in-wall aquarium. Fine. Found a builder who can make one and have a wonderful system to keep it clean etc. I'm expecting a 100 gallon. no. She wants a 500 gallon, tropical freshwater aquarium. I just barely convinced her that a stingray was a bad idea, as none of us have kept anything more than a betta or six. That's it. And she expects me to stock and take care of this...this thing. I've got no idea what to put in it. We have both agreed on Boesemani Rainbowfish, but other than that, I've got nothing. It may not happen for a year or more, but I'm trying to compile a list I can use to shop/stock so she doesn't get something we shouldn't have! (you know, like a 500 gallon tropical tank.)

This is going to sound really dumb, but a placo would be fine in this thing, right?

0 Not allowed!
    Many species are sold in your country as "pleco". Even the most commonly traded "common pleco" will be fine sizewise. These grow to about 12 inches.

I would strongly recommend taking this from the top. What's the water going to be like? Hard/Soft? How much time are you willing to spend on maintenance? If relatively little then a planted tank might not be the best idea (even though rainbowfish love planted tanks).
    Also, have you considered that even a 30% water change on such a tank will already be 150 gallons?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, So now I have two fish to put in there :)

As for maintenance, from what I'm seeing of the tank design, it's not going to be difficult, but if nothing else I know how to do planted tanks (sort of). My bettas have planted tanks, though I'm still experimenting with what plants seem to work and which ones don't!

Water quality around here seems to be hardish, but if need be I can get a water softener. The water change system on the tank is really fascinating. It's a new thing that pipes it outside of the house to water the bushes or some such. I am going to see exactly how it will work later today, so it doesn't seem like it is going to be horrendous.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    well bosemani are schooling fish so, you can have quite a few of those.

I have seen some mixed rainbow fish schools of similar body rainbows and those looked fairly nice.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know a lot about it but I've seen people install skylights over their tanks to provide natural sunlight. It may be simple for your family since the house is still in the planning stage. Here's one example, but you can google "skylight aquarium" for a lot more information.

Schools of various species of rainbowfish would look awesome in such a large tank. A giant school of neon tetras would be quite a sight as well. For plecos, you'd be able to choose any variety you'd like, even those that grow three feet long. The common pleco is, well, common and not much to look at but there are some really cool species that you can choose from. You'd just want to check what their diet is though (carnivorous, omnivorous, primarily algae, wood-eater). Some may also make quick work of plants so be careful of those if you decide to get plecos.

0 Not allowed!
    A water softener only does ion exchange to fool you into thinking it's soft water.

Hardish... ok...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=5205 offer some inspiration perhaps even though it's a mere 330 gallon

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    A water softener only does ion exchange to fool you into thinking it's soft water.

Hardish... ok...
    Not true. First I'd like to point out that there are multiple water softener methods available, not just ion exchange. Reverse osmosis and lime softening are a couple examples. Now to your point about ion exchange: it doesn't "trick" you to thinking the water is soft, it most definitely IS. You're confusing general hardness with TDS. During ion exchange, calcium and magnesium are replaced with sodium or potassium. Since general hardness measures the divalent ions (calcium and magnesium), replacing them with the monovalent ions sodium and potassium certainly does lower the hardness. And because the TDS is the measure of ALL dissolved constituents in the water, it remain relatively untouched.

0 Not allowed!
    I'll believe you. If I don't get the TDS down then I don't consider it soft. But, I'm sure you're absolutely right.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    I don't know a lot about it but I've seen people install skylights over their tanks to provide natural sunlight. It may be simple for your family since the house is still in the planning stage. Here's one example, but you can google "skylight aquarium" for a lot more information.
    Great idea if you're doing a coral or marine tank. Not so great idea if you're doing a freshwater tank because you can't control how much natural light makes it into the tank.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Great idea if you're doing a coral or marine tank. Not so great idea if you're doing a freshwater tank because you can't control how much natural light makes it into the tank.
    I don't see why one wouldn't be able to dim the light output using various methods like screening or blinds. I've read plenty of threads on various forums describing using solartubes for freshwater planted tanks. I believe even Takashi Amano uses them.