· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Angelfish not looking so well...

0 Not allowed!
    IMG_0272.JPGIMG_0273.JPG

I noticed today that my male angelfish is losing his color and must be stressed. I recently adjusted the way that the canister filter splashed the surface so my first thought was that the 02 level in the tank might be getting low so I through an air pump in the tank. They are in a planted tank and I have never had an airstone in the tank to date. While I was doing this though I noticed something odd about my fish. I snapped a couple pictures and if any one has any advice I would appreciate it.

The first picture is of the the other angel fish and it seems to be happening to it as well. The second picture is a close up of the one that seems to be affected the most.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry to hear that, can we get the following information to help resolve this and bring him back to health?

tank size?
    temperature?
    tank mates?
    water parameters? ammonia/nitrite/nitrate
    water change schedule and amount?
    recent changes to the tank? (cleaning/new fish addition etc.)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    tank size? 20 gallon
    temperature? 78F
    tank mates? 3 tetras and one old molly that is still kicking
    water parameters? ammonia/nitrite/nitrate 0/0/>5
    water change schedule and amount? I normally do a 50-75% water change weekly.
    recent changes to the tank? (cleaning/new fish addition etc.) Recently I moved the two angels out their tank when I did a trimming of the plants. I put them in my African grow out tank while I cleaned it up. None of the fish in the grow out tank are showing or have ever shown and sign of disease.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    is your 20gallon your grow out tank? or the angelfish perm home?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I took the image and sized it up so I could see the fish better. From what I am seeing there is a grouping of camallanus worms protruding from the anus of this fish. Camallanus worms draw blood from the intestine of the fish and damage the lining resulting in a secondary bacterial infection that becomes fatal. If the fish are eating you would need to get a levamisole impregnated feed for the fish to eat from angels plus. If they are not eating you need to administer a levamisole based medication. You need to do a heavy gravel cleaning and a re application of the medication or a re feeding of the product.

This disease occurs due to the introduction of the parasite. It is not husbandry related, tank size related or etc..
    Last edited by Indian Woods Angels; 03-15-2013 at 10:53 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the help. I have found a aquarium related thread in which pointed out to order Panacur (dog dewormer) and treat them with that. It is already enroute from Amazon and I will update if I have success with it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think the Panacur is fenbendazole based. I had a bit of trouble getting the fenbendazole based medications to beat camallanus. You may also want to look into the levamisole based medications or feeds. This stuff is not much fun as it is fairly tough to kill. Good luck.