· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Newbie with some questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone! I am trying to learn about setting up my new aquarium. It's approx 50 gal...acrylic tank, basically 2 cubes side by side each 25 gallons joined by 2 acrylic tubes.
    My only experience with aquariums was when I was a teenager, had a 10 gallon tank with undergravel filter and the usual pet store stuff that was common at the time. Not much knowledge and it was always a struggle to keep the tank clean, etc...
    So, I have done some reading through the various info that's archived here and learned a fair bit about what I should need for a filter, heater, etc... but I am left with a few questions.
    The tank I am using has 3 holes drilled in the bottom of each side of the tank (6 holes total) and they are equipped with hose nipples pointing down into the cabinet/stand thingy that it sits on. I am assuming these are for the filter and some other stuff.
    Fish-wise I am pretty flexible. Once I get the tank set up appropriately I will choose some fish that will be suitable for the size and configuration of the tank. Not going to get into living plants or anything like that...just wanting to start basic, then grow as I learn.
    Since my tank is split into 2 halves essentially....will I need more than one filter? More than one of anything?
    The filter I am considering is the Fluval 304...will this meet my needs?
    Will the cord for my heater have to come in from the top of the tank, or is there some way to run it through one of these hose nipples and seal it sufficiently?

That's all for now, but I'm sure more questions will pop up as I go.

Thanks in advance.
    Chris

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can you upload a photo of this tank? The holes are probably for use with a filter, though I can't imagine why 3 holes and on the bottom? I wouldn't recommend trying to run the heater cord through a hose nipple then trying to seal.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijankrom View Post
    Can you upload a photo of this tank? The holes are probably for use with a filter, though I can't imagine why 3 holes and on the bottom? I wouldn't recommend trying to run the heater cord through a hose nipple then trying to seal.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. 2 holes per side would make logical sense to me...1 intake for the filter, and 1 exhaust. Since the 2 halves of the tank are connected with these big tubes, my thought would be to have the filter suck from one side and exit to the other in a crosswise fashion to help with water exchange (since the tubes will act as a restriction).
    So, this made me wonder if 2 filters/pumps would be needed.
    I could certainly plug off the other 2 holes, but I am curious why someone put them there in the first place.
    I didn't expect running the heater cord through the bottom would be do-able...just wishful thinking for a cleaner looking install.
    I will take some pictures of this thing when I get home.

Chris

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those holes are plumbing for a sump. A sump is a seperate tank that will house your heater, temperature probe, refugium, etc... Basically, a sump is a place to house components to keep the display tank clutter free. If your sump has a refugium area, you can house substrate, rocks, or macro algae/plants to help keep the water clean.

It is odd that your tank is equipped with so many holes. Typically, you would have 2 holes on the bottom, and 1 on the back or side. One of the 2 holes on the bottom would be the main drain into the sump, the 2nd hole would be the backup drain in case the main drained got clogged. The hole on the back or side would be the return, where water from the sump would return to the display tank.

The "nipples" that you are referring to are called bulkheads. You can get caps for them to seal them off if I am not mistaken. I'm sure Cliff will chime in here shortly. A picture of your tank would help us help you.

Look up "reef ready" aquariums to get an idea on how this whole drain/return deal works.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it seems I can't insert the image with the tool provided here, so Photobucket it is.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Never seen something like that. Definitely interesting. One of the more advanced aquarists are going to have to help you out with this one.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    something tells me this was a breeder tank or grow out tank of some sorts, or even a sump itself.

it is def not ideal for a normal aquarium set up. you'd have to run a sump/seal those holes in the tank and then are left basically 2-25 gallon tanks.
    I just don't see what you can really do with a design like this, unless you treat it as a sump and get a 100 gallon tank. do you have the capability to do that?
    or are you set on using this somehow?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    something tells me this was a breeder tank or grow out tank of some sorts, or even a sump itself.

it is def not ideal for a normal aquarium set up. you'd have to run a sump/seal those holes in the tank and then are left basically 2-25 gallon tanks.
    I just don't see what you can really do with a design like this, unless you treat it as a sump and get a 100 gallon tank. do you have the capability to do that?
    or are you set on using this somehow?
    Well, yeah I was hoping to set this thing up as an aquarium.
    From the reading I have been doing on sumps....I can't imagine using something of this size for that purpose.
    So, the tubes in this tank are the obvious difference from a normal tank (the extra fittings can be dealt with easy enough)...so what's the major obstacle here?
    Temperature balance between the 2 sides? Equal amount of filtering?

Chris

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ...or should i just fill this thing with margaritas and throw a big party?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenacarina View Post
    ...or should i just fill this thing with margaritas and throw a big party?

If you really needed to you could still use this as an aquarium. I would get 2 filters one for each side if i was going to tho just to make sure there is enough water circulation. Also like the other commentators said seal the holes. I think it would look really cool with fish swimming threw the tubes.