· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can I ask how much light (watts/gallon and hours/day) you are using? I'm at 160W/125g and 12 hours/day. And do you use any other fertilizers? I've also just started experimenting with CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    I have a heavily planted tank and I found my amazon sword to be the fussiest plant to grow. I had similar symptoms to yours. Light greeny/yellow, almost transparent leaves at times. Very poor growth. I basically doubled the root tabs I was using (Sera Florenette-A). One tab at the root every 4 days, and I upped my lighting a bit so that I had low-medium lighting (instead of very low-low). Now it is growing and looking greener and bushier.

I don't know why they are plugged as low-light, easy-care plants. They aren't in my care!

0 Not allowed!
    20ml Tropica Plant Nutrition fertiliser per week. No CO2. Lights are standard bulbs that came with the Interpet Fishpod 120, they're two day bulbs at 15W each, plus four small, cheap, stick-on LED strips (not an aquarium brand). It probably gives 1.5W per gallon, but I've noticed vastly improved growth since getting the stick-on LEDs. Maybe it widened the spectrum. I don't know. I use 7ml of EasyCarbo per day (a.m. dose). Lights are on for no more than 10hrs.

Halfway through the week I dose 5ml potassium and 2ml phosphates.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a heavily planted tank and I found my amazon sword to be the fussiest plant to grow. I had similar symptoms to yours. Light greeny/yellow, almost transparent leaves at times. Very poor growth. I basically doubled the root tabs I was using (Sera Florenette-A). One tab at the root every 4 days, and I upped my lighting a bit so that I had low-medium lighting (instead of very low-low). Now it is growing and looking greener and bushier.

I don't know why they are plugged as low-light, easy-care plants. They aren't in my care!
    Strange you say that I had a bunch myself but have not seen them in months after I pruned my Val's, seems all gone vanished into Sword plant Heaven I guess.

Strange indeed really ,as I never had a problem with them growing out of the tank, and 40 plus leaves on the Red Rubin's.

Strange indeed.

Jeff

0 Not allowed!
    I've pulled my sword and put it in a different tank. It seems to be doing better in the other tank which has newer substrate and more intense light.

0 Not allowed!
    I've pulled my sword and put it in a different tank. It seems to be doing better in the other tank which has newer substrate and more intense light.
    One tablet every 4 days seems to be excessive. I tend to only add in fertilizer tablets maybe every 3 weeks or so. Have to be careful not to add too many, as it could cause excessive nutrients in the tank and lead to an algae bloom.

My first sword I had in a 10g tank with gravel and a stock light fixture (2 bulbs that screwed in). Just added a fertilizer tablet near its roots and that seemed to do the trick, grew rather well in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Well maybe I just have a bad plant as it nearly died without the tabs. Anyhoo, it's in a different tank now and doing far better.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by agoerzen View Post
    I have a heavily planted 100g aquarium where all plants (e.g., hygrophila, anubias, java fern, giant valesneria) are doing very well--good colour, lots of growth. But my Amazon Swords and Dwarf Sagataria are both struggling. The leaves of the Sagataria are lime green rather than dark as they should be and the Swords' leaves are also light green and many have developed tiny pinholes. Neither plants are growing at all. I do fertilize regularly and my lighting seems to be OK (at least, for the other plants). Please let me know if you have a suggestion.
    Small pinholes are a classic sign of potassium defficiency.

Both these plants like a nutrient rich substrate at their roots. Swords, or echinodorus, of any kind are iron hogs.