· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The OP had a concern over the fish cycling through the egg production capacity of the ovaries. While they do have a limited number of cycles that can be generated it can be fairly high depending upon the genetics of the fish.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I have a REALLY nice female angel in there that I do want to see about breeding in the future and I mostly didn't want her "wasting" eggs. I've also read that constant spawning is stressful on fish because they use nutrients to create the eggs to lay and therefore constantly laying eggs can stress them out which leads to lower Immune system and sickness ect. I've also read that fish won't grow as fast if they start spawning and don't stop because the nutrients in the food is going to egg production instead of growing. I'm not sure how true that is, but it does make sense. Although I think I figured out why they keep going and don't stop when I change the lighting schedule or lower the temp. The tank is in a corner with two windows on either side about 2' away from the tank, even if I'm controling the lighting schedule there's a LOT of sunlight that seeps into the room. It's currently March and animals normally start getting busy in Spring, no probably no matter what I do, unless I seal out the light from the windows better they going to be triggered to spawn. Even my bronze corys have spawned in the past month. It's kind of cool though because that means I'm doing something really right with my water quality if my fish are happy enough to spawn. As an aesthetic thing though, when the angels are spawning they take over exactly half of the tank and do the usual shooing other fish away. This causes a break in the "flow" of my schooling fish and the overall appearance of the tank. They're not aggressive to any of the other fish in regards to nipping or injuring, they only chase them off and stop chasing once they reach the invisible half line of "their" territory. So the tank just doesn't look as harmonious when they're breeding, which I guess could be considered kind of silly, but I like the look better with how the angels act when they're not spawning and tank is unified.
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood