· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Premium (Preferably Flake-Based) Food Recommendations for Goldfish...

0 Not allowed!
    My four fancy goldies tend to prefer flake-based foods, even though I know this is not recommended for them due to their swim bloat issue tendences, substantiated by my observations that seem to prove the sinking pellet type foods make them get a bit "lethargic" as they attempt to digest them; with the flakes, they show a much greater interest and swim around gobbling them up on the surface and as they float under the water like it's going out of style...

I have had experience thus far with the "cheaper" off-the-shelf type flake foods from Aqueon, Tetra and now a goldfish flake from a brand I'm not familiar with, but which I think is made by Hagen, which came with the little "Marina Goldfish Starter" container package we bought some time ago for an emergency situation in which we needed to get our Black Moor out of infected water and into a holding area. I also, at times, feed them Tetra's Goldfish Crisps and the Tetra Sinking Pellets, but, as I said, they definitely "react" better to flakes...

That being said, I was advised that NEW LINE SPECTRUM is an awesome, premium food line (and I am aware of the Hikari brand as well for fancy goldfish) that I could, and should, be feeding them, but I noticed some New Line Spectrum in Petco yesterday and they had the very small goldfish granules....which actually looked very small, and perhaps a bit too small for the four I keep now...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a premium flake-based food I can give my fancies? Does New Line Spectrum make a flake for goldies? Further, are the flake based diets from Tetra and Aqueon (or perhaps Wardley, Omega One, or any other off-the-shelf brand) adequate enough for daily nutrition if these aren't being raised to be true exotic show fish?

Thanks in advance!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I believe the new life spectrum flake only comes in freshwater and saltwater formulas. I dont use their flake food so I cant comment on how well fish like it, or if it is even very good for goldfish.

I do use the aqueon tropical flake food and I like it quite a bit. It doesnt have artificial dyes in it and it holds up pretty well too.

I also havent seen any hikari flake food, but they do make all sorts of different pellets for goldfish.

0 Not allowed!
    The below link contains the answere you are looking for

http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?opt...d=12&Itemid=60
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    The below link contains the answere you are looking for

http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?opt...d=12&Itemid=60
    Thanks, Cliff...

Indeed, I have seen New Life's site many times; I was just wondering if there was something a hobbyist on here maybe knew about another product of theirs that I didn't know about...or which isn't readily available in terms of information via their site...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    I believe the new life spectrum flake only comes in freshwater and saltwater formulas. I dont use their flake food so I cant comment on how well fish like it, or if it is even very good for goldfish.
    Hello Godiva, and, as always, thank you!

Indeed, the New Life Spectrum foods are available for salt AND fresh water species, but their entire line is broken up into species-specific foods if you look at their site which Cliff provided (there are pellets for goldfish); the thing is, I see NO mention of ANY flake-based food available from them...

I do use the aqueon tropical flake food and I like it quite a bit. It doesnt have artificial dyes in it and it holds up pretty well too.
    I used the Aqueon Goldfish Flakes more than once because they're always a good deal value wise and I was always able to use the "$2 off" coupons they supply in the boxes of their filters and other equipment towards the food; I just don't know if these are as good, better than or worse than the average Tetras, Wardleys, Omega Ones, etc...and if stepping up to like a New Life Spectrum or Hikari would yield better results...

I also havent seen any hikari flake food, but they do make all sorts of different pellets for goldfish.
    Indeed; I don't think they make flake food for goldfish either, and it makes you really wonder if more "premium" makers like Hikari or New Life don't make any flake-based diet there must be a reason...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi.
    I don't have goldies but i love yourfishstuff fish food. I feed both flakes and pellets to my cichlids and they have wonderful color and love the food.
    They also make gold fish food if you want to check it out.
    http://www.yourfishstuff.com/goldfish-food/

BTW - I sometimes have trouble with my blood parrots and swim bladder if they feed flakes off the surface. To avoid that problem, I lower the flakes into the water before releasing them. That way they disburse below the surface and the fish don't gulp air getting to them as they do what they snap them off the surface. Don't know if that will help you but it works for me.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Clinical Tetra, please check you PMs
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    All my pond Goldies get Omega One Goldfish, and not only do they love it, they do extremely well.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari View Post
    All my pond Goldies get Omega One Goldfish, and not only do they love it, they do extremely well.
    Omega One FLAKES or sticks (being that they're pond fish)?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Hi.
    I don't have goldies but i love yourfishstuff fish food. I feed both flakes and pellets to my cichlids and they have wonderful color and love the food.
    They also make gold fish food if you want to check it out.
    http://www.yourfishstuff.com/goldfish-food/

BTW - I sometimes have trouble with my blood parrots and swim bladder if they feed flakes off the surface. To avoid that problem, I lower the flakes into the water before releasing them. That way they disburse below the surface and the fish don't gulp air getting to them as they do what they snap them off the surface. Don't know if that will help you but it works for me.
    I'll check out that link you provided; thanks!