· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default No native fish forum? Anyone else ever keep Sunfish?

0 Not allowed!
    When I had more space and more tanks I successfully kept bluegill sunfish in a south/central American cichlid tank and they got along fine. I think if you are in North America and fish and never kept any native species you're missing out. Some kind of sunfish species like rock bass I found to be extremely hard to keep but regular bluegills are extremely hardy and tolerant of tropical temps. They even act kind of like their central/south american cousins when kept together it's rather neat to see. I also found pumpkinseed bluegill (the ones I had the most success with) to be really visually stunning, just do a simple google search for pumkinseed bluegills and you will find tons of bright and vivid variations depending on where you are in North America.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I too once had a tank of native species. A largemouth bass, a sunfish, and a few yellow pickerel. All fish were around an inch long. That was a messy tank. The waste these fish produce is enormous.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have an extremely easy access to sunfish and black bullhead (backyard pond) so if I want to see one at any size I can just huck out a piece of hot dog or something, and within 3 minutes they are biting. I prefer fly fishing in the mountains, but there is something comical and satisfactory about catching 20 fish in 20 minutes in your back yard. However, I did try a native tank once with some fry (2 1" bullhead, 1 sunfish .5"), and I finally just gave it up. They weren't as entertaining as catching them down at the pond.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Except for man made hybrids, all fish are native to somewhere. What is native to you is not necessarily native to me. Not everyone on this forum would consider North American fish native. Personally, I currently have some Herichthys cyanoguttatus (Texas cichlid) that were caught in a creek about an hour away from me, and they are great fish, but if they don't stop breeding every few weeks I am giving them up for some South American cichlids.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Personally, I currently have some Herichthys cyanoguttatus (Texas cichlid) that were caught in a creek about an hour away from me, and they are great fish, but if they don't stop breeding every few weeks I am giving them up for some South American cichlids.
    Hehehe, just means your the perfect mommy1 when it come to setting up an environment. Job well done.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I once stocked up a 70 gal with several 1-1.5 inch blue gills, a pumpkin seed, and a green sunfish. It was fun watching them establish territories, and they got along for quite a while. The blue gills grew the fastest, and were the least colorful. As they grew, (and fought) I would thin the group. (returned them to where they were collected)

In the end I was left with Greenie and the Pumpkin seed. Eventually the Greenie wouldn't allow the ps to even come out to eat. So I put up a divider in the middle of the tank, and kept 'em both for a while longer. Eventually Greeenie was released, and ps had the tank to himself!

One time Greenie bit my wife while she was feeding him. Another time he jumped out and she had to put him back in!

Also had a small group of Bullheads in the tank at the same time.

I'm actually considering doing this again this spring.

Will post pics when I get back to work next week.
    Last edited by Mister Limpet; 03-23-2013 at 05:15 AM.