· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Setting up a 100g stocking questions!

0 Not allowed!
    So right now I have a 2 inch electric blue jack dempsey and a 2 inch oscar. I kind of want to breed the dempsey so I was planning on buying 5 2-3 inch normal colored jack dempseys to grow up together in the tank and then hopefully pair off with the electric blue. It is a 48x25x18 (not exact) tank with live plants. Water changes are preformed weekly. Temp = 26 C , Ammonia = 0, nitrates = 0, nitrites = 0, Ph = 6.5 (Was already cycled from discus tank). Will this stock work ?? Should I remove the oscar? Will the normal jd's kill the electric? I am new to the predator cichlids but have kept discus alive and healthy.

0 Not allowed!
    I could be wrong but I don't think 100g is room for an Oscar and a breeding pair of JDs. Even with just the Oscar and the JD I would say if would be hit-and-miss as it's only a 4-foot tank.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think everything you want to have will be fine at first but once the normal JDs and oscar outgrow your electric he's going to be bullied. In my experience they are just so much more timid than normal JDs and slower growing though I never tried to breed them together I would personally ditch the oscar first off or if you want him and a mating pair section the tank off. Raising them together I would expect the normal JDs to pair up first and bully the others not to mention the oscar.

Have you considered raising the JDs until you can tell the sex then section off the electric and a mate? is your sole goal to breed your electric with a normal JD here? You certainly can't keep 4 extra JDs and an oscar in a 100g long term. I've kept both varients of JDs and I don't think your electric is going to be able to breed for a much longer time than normal JDs. Give this very informative article on breeding blues a read you may get no blue offspring at all. http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ck-dempsey.htm

My male jack dempsey was extremely aggressive after he reached about 5-6 inches or so later on I could only have 1 other large pike cichlid in the 75g with him because he would bully even large convicts to near death. I could only imagine if he formed a mating pair what would of happened.

One last note to diffuse aggression you could pick up some dither fish I prefer silver dollars but there are quite a few to pick from a lot of people like danios.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 04-17-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.